The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Can you improve class of honours?

Long story short I had a lot of family issues in the lead up to my EMA, submitted but think it was terrible.

I have so far passed the module even if I only pass with 20% but if I don’t get the grade I need it will take my overall class from a 2.1 to a 2.2 - is there anyway I could improve my class of honours and still graduate with my cohort? It is only a 30 credit optional module so confused with where I stand with that one!

I have applied for my masters and need a 2.1 and really need to start in September! :frown:

Any advice would be appreciated
You'll probably need to check with the OU specifically - such regulations are normally specific to individual universities, and the OU has particularly unusual/unique regulations in how their degrees are classed. In general at most unis you couldn't just e.g. take an extra module to replace the lower grade one, but this may be permissible at the OU...equally the way they class degrees may not account for certain modules so this might not affect anything anyway (I vaguely recall looking at the how it's done and it was not a simple average of your results for the OU classification system, as I recall).

I'd suggest also talking to your tutor about what potential extenuating/mitigating circumstances can be applied for after the fact to account for your family situation. Usually for any short term, significant and unpredictable disruptions there are processes in place so students don't get disadvantaged by these. There is often a window in which you have to apply for them so I would suggest ringing your tutor/the OU about that tomorrow.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thank you! I’ll definitely give them a ring tomorrow. It gives me a slight bit of hope that it is an “optional module” but perhaps I’m clutching at straws!

Quick Reply

Latest