The Student Room Group

Retake GCSE English language?

Hi.

I’m currently in year 12 taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. I’ve recently started looking at Uni’s I may want to apply to as well as decide what courses I may want to do. Right now at least I’ve decided that doing something computer science related, more specifically AI/Machine learning, is something I want to do.

I’ve looked around and found that quite a lot of the universities that are in my interest have grade 6 in GCSE English language as a requirement. Now this is something that I don’t have (I got a grade 5). My question is would it be worth it to retake language? Considering Covid and the lockdowns we had in Y10 and Y11, I didn’t do as good in English as I hoped i could…

I did get a grade 6 in literature though, If that does matter.

Thanks.
Language is usually the important one of the 2 since literature is just about analysing texts etc., I would say it’s worth it ur only one grade away it’s achievable and remember there’s always people who surpass the boundaries so you want to have the strongest grades you can.
Ask you school about retaking English GCSE alogside your A levels - this is quite commpn and usually getting a higher grade is fairly simple because you are that bit older and now studying at a higher level.
Original post by IAlsoLeftItBlank
Hi.

I’m currently in year 12 taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. I’ve recently started looking at Uni’s I may want to apply to as well as decide what courses I may want to do. Right now at least I’ve decided that doing something computer science related, more specifically AI/Machine learning, is something I want to do.

I’ve looked around and found that quite a lot of the universities that are in my interest have grade 6 in GCSE English language as a requirement. Now this is something that I don’t have (I got a grade 5). My question is would it be worth it to retake language? Considering Covid and the lockdowns we had in Y10 and Y11, I didn’t do as good in English as I hoped i could…

I did get a grade 6 in literature though, If that does matter.

Thanks.

If there is an English Language GCSE requirement and you dont have that grade it is an automatic rejection so it is worth you retaking it. If you want to go somewhere it is a must although most universities for CS or similar dont usually have this requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending