The Student Room Group

Did your parents buy you alcohol before you were 18?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, the earliest being when I turned 17.
Reply 21
Anonymous
Why'd you assume I'm a guy?! I'm a girl :smile:

:o: Well solution lies therein! Just flirt with some boys tonight..they'll be putty in your hands and hey presto you've got booze :wink:
Reply 22
my best mate had a 21yr old brother. he was the MAN
Reply 23
Nope.
i'm going to one tonight and my mum said I hope there is no alcohol and you better not drink.
SO HELL NO she would NEVER buy me it.
Reply 24
You can buy it yourself and share with your brother with joy broght by alcohol :smile:
Reply 25
Yeah from the age of 14, but usually just low percentage stuff, wkd, bacardi breezers, cider etc. They've let me take already half empty bottles of spirits from the drinks cupboard before too. And they knew that I'd be drinking spirits supplied by other people at the party too. I'm 17 and I don't drink anymore but they'd probably buy me spirits now if I asked them too.

Can't you just drink some of your friends alcohol instead? offer to pay them if they are being tight.
Reply 26
PygmyShrew
Aw, your poor mum, she said she'd buy you some if you were drinking at home and everything. She's just being responsible and you're stealing from her.

I know but I wouldn't have to steal from her if she would just buy it for me. I'm not even asking her to buy it - just purchase it! I'd pay for it.
Reply 27
FizzBitch
Yeah from the age of 14, but usually just low percentage stuff, wkd, bacardi breezers, cider etc. They've let me take already half empty bottles of spirits from the drinks cupboard before too. And they knew that I'd be drinking spirits supplied by other people at the party too. I'm 17 and I don't drink anymore but they'd probably buy me spirits now if I asked them too.

Can't you just drink some of your friends alcohol instead? offer to pay them if they are being tight.

I know but I always feel so pikey asking for their alcohol - even if I do pay them. Because it's hard enough for them getting some for themselves, without me drinking some of it as well!
I guess I'll just be having a very sober evening...
Reply 28
They would buy me wine or whatever if I wanted it out at a restaurant or they offer it to me at home or whatever, but they wouldn't buy me a big bottle of it to bring to someone's house.
Anonymous
Basically, I just had a small argument with my mum over the fact that she won't buy me alcohol to take to a party I'm going to tonight. Oh I'm 16 btw. She said if I wasn't going out then she would buy me some as long as I drank it in the house but because I'm going out she doesn't want to. I'd say about 60% of my friend's parents are willing to buy them some alcohol if they are going to a party (maybe a big bottle of smirnoff ice or a couple of beers - no spirits obviously.)
It's really annoying for me because I drink responsibily and yes I know I'm underage but who doesn't drink when they're underage?! It's not like I'm going out and getting completely hammered.
Normally I catch the train to a nearby town where I can get served but I didn't get the chance today so I'm going to have to go without tonight which I'm a bit dissappointed about (yeah I know you don't need alcohol to have fun but everyone else will be drinking and it sucks to be the only sober one!)

So I was just wondering if anyones parents bought them alcohol when they were underage?

Anon because brother uses TSR and I don't really want him to know that I asked my mum.

My mum did, but 4 beers at the most. However, now I'm 18, I take 2 bottles of wine out with me from the house, and buy stuff whilst out.
Reply 30
Yes. Only very small amounts though. Like an alcopop or something lol. Oh and wine at restaurants etc
Reply 31
bunch of irresponsible parents, and people wonder why britain got a problem with drinking
Reply 32
^ Oh please. :rolleyes:

My mum used to buy me alcohol and i don't binge drink. I'm actually teetotal.
Reply 33
yeh they did...only at new year etc though but any other times friends parents did(my parents knew)and didn't mind as they knew were I was and they would rather I did it in friends houses rather than on the streets

AJxx
Adrian1707
Yes. My parents adopted a sensible libertarian approach to my upbringing. I was left alone in the house at 16 and 17 alone with alcohol many times, my parents allowed me to go out drinking and I made plenty of mistakes. Having learned from them mistakes I have not touched alcohol in a long time and my decision has not been through force or coercion, but through a period of which I now understand the consequences of drinking too much. They never punished me for drinking, they never grounded me, they allowed me to make mistakes and to learn from them. Parents that do not allow this process to occur are the ones making mistakes.

Hear hear. I've had the same upbringing
Reply 35
I don't really remember, to be honest. I don't recall them ever buying stuff for me to take to parties, though when I had friends round for GCSE results and stuff, I think they gave me a couple of bottles of wine, or something.

But they definitely buy alcohol for my brother (he's 17). This summer they bought him 2 cases of beer to take to a festival. They won't buy him spirits though - I had to go and get a bottle of rum for him!
Reply 36
yeah my parents are fine to buy me a bottle of wine or whatever if i'm going to a party, at least they have control over how much i drink and they like to know where i'm going if they buy it for me .. win-win situation really
Reply 37
My mum does and she gives me tips on what to drink and how much of it to drink, which I think is responsible. She wants me to know my limits and not get completely pissed and ill, which has never happened, even when I stayed with my friend in her flat in glasgow with no adults and lots of alcohol, so it's worked pretty well :smile:

(I'm 15 by the way, she started a few months ago)
My mum doesn't buy me alcohol apart from special occasions, and we drink it in my house.
Yeah, my parents did. They trust me so there's no harm in it.
I usually bought it for myself though. I still do, actually, even though I'm 17.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending