The Student Room Group

student finance? HELP

can I get sfe funding if i resit second year of university but have already used up 3 years due to 1st year and 2nd year and 1st year of another degree?
You can access 1 year of funding, then afterwards you will need to self fund. SFE fund up to 4 years of undergrad
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by OliverTKD
You can access 1 year of funding, then afterwards you will need to self fund. SFE fund up to 4 years of undergrad

is that the tuition loan that goes to the uni? or the supporting loan i get?
Original post by OliverTKD

SFE fund the length of the degree plus one. Not all courses are 3 year
Hi,

I would contact the finance department at your University for any queries, as it's their job to answer any concerns and offer guidance.
I would also recommend taking a look at the Student Financial Support thread here on TSR (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=545).
Here you can ask SFE themselves, or explore previous threads and ask people who have been in a similar situation.

I hope this helps :smile:

-Lauren
Original post by Anonymous
is that the tuition loan that goes to the uni? or the supporting loan i get?

maintenance iirc
Original post by ReadingMum
SFE fund the length of the degree plus one. Not all courses are 3 year

I think OP will still need to fund some of their degree because of the changes
Original post by Anonymous
can I get sfe funding if i resit second year of university but have already used up 3 years due to 1st year and 2nd year and 1st year of another degree?

How many years of previous study do you have?
What is the length of your current course?
I did a year at another uni and paid the maintenance loan back out of my first year at my current uni, the tuition loan got added to my total. As it’s a different degree I got a separate 4 year funding so the first first year didn’t count to the four years. I’d imagine yours is the same as this is pretty standard, so you would get funded but need to check.
Original post by KirstinTM
I did a year at another uni and paid the maintenance loan back out of my first year at my current uni, the tuition loan got added to my total. As it’s a different degree I got a separate 4 year funding so the first first year didn’t count to the four years. I’d imagine yours is the same as this is pretty standard, so you would get funded but need to check.

Previous study rules don’t adjust based on whether loans were taken out or repaid.
There’s a lot of posts with inaccurate or incorrect advice on this thread.

The previous study funding formula (for full time undergraduate study) is:

Length of current course + 1 gift year - years of previous study = remaining funded years

Unfunded years always come FIRST.

In an unfunded year you get no tuition fee loan but you can still get a maintenance/living costs loan.

If you have evidence of compelling personal reasons for a repeat/restart year then that can mean a year (or more) of previous study can be excluded from the calculation.

Some courses are exempt from previous study rules.

There are additional rules if you hold an equivalent or higher qualification.

Previous study years are deducted from your funding even if you self funded or studied outside the UK.
Original post by PQ
Previous study rules don’t adjust based on whether loans were taken out or repaid.

Well I have confirmed funding for a 4 year course (integrated masters) and did a term at another uni that they paid for and I paid back the maintenance loan. I’m probably not going to do the MSci, it depends on if my ADHD meds work.
Original post by KirstinTM
Well I have confirmed funding for a 4 year course (integrated masters) and did a term at another uni that they paid for and I paid back the maintenance loan. I’m probably not going to do the MSci, it depends on if my ADHD meds work.

Everyone gets one gift year of funding to restart or repeat. You get a gift year whether you repaid your previous loans or not.

If your new course is 4 years then SFE will fund up to 5 years of study. If you’ve used your gift year then that means any additional repeat/restart years would be unfunded.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PQ
Everyone gets one gift year of funding to restart or repeat. You get a gift year whether you repaid your previous loans or not.

If your new course is 4 years then SFE will fund up to 5 years of study. If you’ve used your gift year then that means any additional repeat/restart years would be unfunded.

Okay, this should hopefully help OP too then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending