The Student Room Group

Combining A-Levels and Scottish Highers?

Hello,

I apologise if this is a common question, but I have been outside of the education system for many years and I am unfamiliar with its workings these days. I am interested in applying to university in Scotland to study Ecology in the upcoming years. Having previously failed a university experience several years ago I wanted to improve my grades in order to ensure I have the relevant subjects required by the course (Mainly Biology and Chemistry). My issue is I am from Northern Ireland, which schooling system is similar to England as we sat A-Levels rather than Highers as they do in Scotland. My previous A-Level result for Biology was poor (a D) and naturally I wanted to improve this drastically before pursuing an ecological degree.

I am at a crossroads right now whether or not to sit Scottish Highers in Chemistry and Biology within the Scottish city I currently live in. Or the alternative would be to complete an A-Level in Chemistry and Biology online (for a significant cost each approx. £1500 - all exams/practical’s included).

Resitting the A-Levels at a local school or college isn’t an option as they not used up here in Scotland. I wanted some advice on whether it would be more in my interest to resit A-Levels or Scottish Highers? Would I be able to combine my existing A-Levels and new Higher results in order to apply to university and would they accept a mixture of Highers and A-Levels?

As a smaller secondary question, the only Higher Biology course available in my area would be Higher Human Biology, would this be an acceptable Higher to use to apply for a course such as Ecology or is Biology itself the main higher a university would prefer.

Thank you for any responses in advance, it’s been a while and I’m clueless how to approach this :smile:
Original post by neilmcc98
Hello,

I apologise if this is a common question, but I have been outside of the education system for many years and I am unfamiliar with its workings these days. I am interested in applying to university in Scotland to study Ecology in the upcoming years. Having previously failed a university experience several years ago I wanted to improve my grades in order to ensure I have the relevant subjects required by the course (Mainly Biology and Chemistry). My issue is I am from Northern Ireland, which schooling system is similar to England as we sat A-Levels rather than Highers as they do in Scotland. My previous A-Level result for Biology was poor (a D) and naturally I wanted to improve this drastically before pursuing an ecological degree.

I am at a crossroads right now whether or not to sit Scottish Highers in Chemistry and Biology within the Scottish city I currently live in. Or the alternative would be to complete an A-Level in Chemistry and Biology online (for a significant cost each approx. £1500 - all exams/practical’s included).

Resitting the A-Levels at a local school or college isn’t an option as they not used up here in Scotland. I wanted some advice on whether it would be more in my interest to resit A-Levels or Scottish Highers? Would I be able to combine my existing A-Levels and new Higher results in order to apply to university and would they accept a mixture of Highers and A-Levels?

As a smaller secondary question, the only Higher Biology course available in my area would be Higher Human Biology, would this be an acceptable Higher to use to apply for a course such as Ecology or is Biology itself the main higher a university would prefer.

Thank you for any responses in advance, it’s been a while and I’m clueless how to approach this :smile:

Hey @neilmcc98 :biggrin: Hope you're well!

I'd recommend getting in touch with the universities that you're keen to study at to clarify their entry requirements, as if you've been out of education for a while then re-sitting or taking A-Levels or Highers might not be the best route. For Mature Students we can consider a variety of different qualifications for entry- including HNC/HND, Open University, DipHEs, and SWAP or Pre-Entry Access courses too. Your current circumstances and qualifications are unique to you, so I'd encourage you to look for Mature Student contacts within universities and they can explain entry requirements and applications to you. Send an email including all of your qualifications and experience to date, and let them know which course you'd like to apply for so they can advise.

Hope this helps, best of luck!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @neilmcc98 :biggrin: Hope you're well!

I'd recommend getting in touch with the universities that you're keen to study at to clarify their entry requirements, as if you've been out of education for a while then re-sitting or taking A-Levels or Highers might not be the best route. For Mature Students we can consider a variety of different qualifications for entry- including HNC/HND, Open University, DipHEs, and SWAP or Pre-Entry Access courses too. Your current circumstances and qualifications are unique to you, so I'd encourage you to look for Mature Student contacts within universities and they can explain entry requirements and applications to you. Send an email including all of your qualifications and experience to date, and let them know which course you'd like to apply for so they can advise.

Hope this helps, best of luck!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Hi Caitlin,
Thank you very much for your response, it has been very helpful in pointing me in the right direction. I hadn't considered other options into entering as a Mature Student and it is great to know there are other access routes available. I'm following your advice and getting into with the universities directly to see what each one can offer and what is required of me.

Thanks again for the help :smile:

Neil

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending