The Student Room Group

What sorts of private messages will the med school/GMC expel you for ?

It has gotten to a point where I can't send laughing emojis to "dark" memes for the sake of social harmony with that person, or discuss controversial opinion, or rant to people on private messages with swear words etc, because I am that terrified that the person might leak my messages to the medical school or GMC. I have never posted anything on a public social media app/website, but I literally feel like its damaging my personal relationships because I can't say or do anything privately without fearing 5 years of my life is going to just get flushed down the drain.

Especially when I read stories that a Dr got permanently suspended by the GMC for buying a child's train ticket... when the NHS pays Drs peanuts anyway !

Any thoughts on this ? Thanks :smile:
Post edited automatically
I am still in Med School atm.

What happens if someone does expose private messages, considering they are private? I can't have banter or anything because I am absolutely paranoid ...
Original post by Anonymous
I am still in Med School atm.

What happens if someone does expose private messages, considering they are private? I can't have banter or anything because I am absolutely paranoid ...

You’re not going to get expelled from the GMC if you haven’t done anything illegal or against GMC principles.
True, but I doubt even the GMC can take you down for swearing at general NHS management (not specific people) in a text message rant for example…or can they? :ninja:

Im presuming that’s what OP means why they talk about swearing. Obviously if it’s xenophobic then that’s a no no.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
True, but I doubt even the GMC can take you down for swearing at general NHS management (not specific people) in a text message rant for example…or can they? :ninja:

Im presuming that’s what OP means why they talk about swearing. Obviously if it’s xenophobic then that’s a no no.

Yes, for example, I was complaining about how the NHS pay is dog sh*t and how private medicine becomes more and more appealing. But then what if the GMC read that and thought I don't deserve to be a Dr for not appreciating the NHS, when its just that I don't agree with the pay?
I know what you mean but if the message is private, and you’re complaining about an institution in general then you’re hardly bringing the profession into disrepute. I meant If the message is xenophobic in any way and is exposed then it brings questions about the person’s character and their fitness to practice which I can see the GMC becoming involved in.

Original post by Anonymous
Yes, for example, I was complaining about how the NHS pay is dog sh*t and how private medicine becomes more and more appealing. But then what if the GMC read that and thought I don't deserve to be a Dr for not appreciating the NHS, when its just that I don't agree with the pay?

Under what law or GMC principle would this violate? I’m pretty sure every healthcare professional complains about the NHS at some point. As ecolier said, it’s an opinion which doesn’t target any one person or specific group so it’s fine.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending