The Student Room Group

declining firm for insurance

Hi! So results day went better than expected, not over the moon with my results but happy I managed to get into the unis I wanted to go to.

Just want to check since I’m so paranoid and overwhelmed rn lol but I’ve been offered an unconditional for Chemistry at Cardiff my firm when I originally went for Biochemistry and I don’t really want to do chemistry. Whereas Sussex has offered me Biochemistry and is my insurance.

Anyways, if I declined my offer at Cardiff, does that mean I get into Sussex automatically?? When I click reply to offers only Cardiff comes up right now but ucas says I’ve been confirmed a place at sussex if I don’t meet the conditions of my firm. So just want to check if this is normal and would I have to go through clearing to do biochem at sussex or what?

Also when do I need to reply to the offers by? UCAS seems to have messed up because it said ‘you will need to reply by 0d:MMMM yyyy or you will lose the offers’

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saffira
Hi! So results day went better than expected, not over the moon with my results but happy I managed to get into the unis I wanted to go to.

Just want to check since I’m so paranoid and overwhelmed rn lol but I’ve been offered an unconditional for Chemistry at Cardiff my firm when I originally went for Biochemistry and I don’t really want to do chemistry. Whereas Sussex has offered me Biochemistry and is my insurance.

Anyways, if I declined my offer at Cardiff, does that mean I get into Sussex automatically?? When I click reply to offers only Cardiff comes up right now but ucas says I’ve been confirmed a place at sussex if I don’t meet the conditions of my firm. So just want to check if this is normal and would I have to go through clearing to do biochem at sussex or what?

Also when do I need to reply to the offers by? UCAS seems to have messed up because it said ‘you will need to reply by 0d:MMMM yyyy or you will lose the offers’

So once you've met the conditions for your firm, you're placed there and your insurance choice ceases to exist - it's released and can then be offered to other people. You can't swap from one to the other automatically.

If you want to go to Sussex you need to give them a call ASAP - Clearing is really busy this year and places are being taken quickly. If they can offer you a place, you can then use the 'decline my place' button to place yourself into Clearing and apply to Sussex.
So you got your grades for biochem at Cardiff, but were offered chemistry instead?
Original post by saffira

Hey @saffira [br] [br] I know you've received an answer below, so just wanted to pop in and say huge congratulations on your results and for getting into the universities you wanted to go to! That is absolutely amazing and you should be so proud of yourself :smile:

Good luck with everything :smile:

Becky
Reply 4
Original post by Charlotte's Web
So once you've met the conditions for your firm, you're placed there and your insurance choice ceases to exist - it's released and can then be offered to other people. You can't swap from one to the other automatically.

If you want to go to Sussex you need to give them a call ASAP - Clearing is really busy this year and places are being taken quickly. If they can offer you a place, you can then use the 'decline my place' button to place yourself into Clearing and apply to Sussex.

So I spoke to Sussex they said if I decline my offer from Cardiff I would get into Sussex automatically?? they would send me an email to confirm but that’s it. I can’t contact Cardiff right now either too busy. Don’t know what to do
Reply 5
Original post by saffira
So I spoke to Sussex they said if I decline my offer from Cardiff I would get into Sussex automatically?? they would send me an email to confirm but that’s it. I can’t contact Cardiff right now either too busy. Don’t know what to do

Also said that my offer was unconditional which I never knew about, all emails said conditional ://
Original post by saffira
Also said that my offer was unconditional which I never knew about, all emails said conditional ://

It will be unconditional once you have your results. But you applied for biochem at Cardiff and met your offer?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by saffira

Ok - so you've got an unconditional course changed offer. You have 5 days to decide what you want to do. You can either accept the changed course at Cardiff via your UCAS hub, or decline it and you will be automatically placed at Sussex (assuming they have accepted you).

How are you feeling right now, do you think you want to accept the changed course?
Original post by saffira

There should be a 'Decline my place' button on your UCAS hub.
Original post by normaw
There should be a 'Decline my place' button on your UCAS hub.

No, you must please not use Decline my place until you are sure what the situation is.
Original post by 学生の父
No, you must please not use Decline my place until you are sure what the situation is.

PRSOM, this is definitely the safest thing to do right now
Reply 11
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Ok - so you've got an unconditional course changed offer. You have 5 days to decide what you want to do. You can either accept the changed course at Cardiff via your UCAS hub, or decline it and you will be automatically placed at Sussex (assuming they have accepted you).

How are you feeling right now, do you think you want to accept the changed course?

how do I know if they have ‘accepted me?’ I tried to talk to them and they said yes if I decline Cardiff I’ll be given the offer at Sussex. And also like I said before it says I’ve been confirmed a place at sussex

I don’t want to do Chemistry, the only thing I want to find out is if I can switch to Biochemistry from Year 1 at Cardiff. Even if I can I’m not sure id want to go through a year of pure chemistry! thank you for you help so far. I’m on hold to Cardiff to confirm details
Reply 12
Original post by Interrobang
It will be unconditional once you have your results. But you applied for biochem at Cardiff and met your offer?

no unfortunately I did not get the grades I needed for biochemistry :frown: but looking at their website I didn’t get the grades for chemistry either (I got BBC they wanted ABB lowest? So idek how I got offered this course to begin with!)
Original post by saffira
how do I know if they have ‘accepted me?’ I tried to talk to them and they said yes if I decline Cardiff I’ll be given the offer at Sussex. And also like I said before it says I’ve been confirmed a place at sussex

I don’t want to do Chemistry, the only thing I want to find out is if I can switch to Biochemistry from Year 1 at Cardiff. Even if I can I’m not sure id want to go through a year of pure chemistry! thank you for you help so far. I’m on hold to Cardiff to confirm details

If you were rejected from biochem at Cardiff today (ie. due to not making your grade requirement), then it is very unlikely that you will be able to switch back, so definitely keep that in mind :smile:
Original post by saffira

It should show up on your UCAS hub. If it says your place is confirmed then you've been accepted.

It's really important you're sure before you make your decision. You have 5 days with this offer so you can take your time. I think it's a good idea to speak to Cardiff and get a firm answer from them if anything just to put your mind at rest and to know you've considered all options. Chemistry and biochem are similar but significantly different enough that a full year of Chemistry will be a lot, and you don't want to be in a position where you are stuck on a course you aren't enjoying.

Let me know if there's anything else we can help with.
Original post by saffira
no unfortunately I did not get the grades I needed for biochemistry :frown: but looking at their website I didn’t get the grades for chemistry either (I got BBC they wanted ABB lowest? So idek how I got offered this course to begin with!)

I'm sorry to hear that :frown: They must just have had more places on their chemistry course and so offered you an Unconditional Course Change. You can choose to accept this on UCAS (in which case your Sussex place will disappear) or decline it and go to Sussex.

You can't rely on being able to transfer when you arrive I'm afraid
Original post by saffira

There is a shortage of undergraduates studying chemistry. It has been a problem for several years so there are a lot of good unis in clearing with spaces on their chemistry courses. It does mean that career prospects are good if you have chemistry degree, but you have to weigh up if you would actually enjoy studying it for three years.
Reply 17
thank you so much everyone for the help and advice! after being on call with cardiff for over two hours asking questions about possibly taking another course and transferring to biochem, but just wasn’t meant to be with the grades I ended up getting. so I declined my offer and am now going to sussex for biochemistry:smile:
Original post by saffira
thank you so much everyone for the help and advice! after being on call with cardiff for over two hours asking questions about possibly taking another course and transferring to biochem, but just wasn’t meant to be with the grades I ended up getting. so I declined my offer and am now going to sussex for biochemistry:smile:

I'm glad you've settled into something now, I'm hope you're happy with it! Best of luck preparing for your life at Sussex, can confirm that it's gorgeous here :hugs:
Original post by saffira

Congratulations on your place at Sussex! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending