The Student Room Group

new school for sixth form

how can i make the most of my new school im transferring from a state co-ed school to an independent girls school. How can i make the most out of it educationally and socially, i was v mousy and quiet at my old skool however am hoping to become more outgoing and make new friends and connections
So my experience was almost opposite to yours, I went from a private girls school to a state girls school for sixth form, and I start uni this September, but I still have the private girls' school experience so hopefully this will still be helpful.

So firstly, try to make the most of the likely better quality in various areas. There tend to be more/better quality clubs as the school can afford to bring people in/hire teachers with various special talents etc. so join clubs you're interested in, for me this included choir and netball etc. where the teachers were professionals in their fields. Also, private girls schools are highly sort after usually, so there'll probably be a few people joining, try and make friends with some of them as you may have things in common, but also make good attempts to join existing friend groups, new girls integrated well into existing friendship groups in my old private school from what I heard from my friends there.

It's usually quite a welcoming environment as the girls have quite a broad view of the world with a lot having traveled a fair bit and volunteered etc. and there's usually people from a range of socioeconomic backgrounds especially if the school gives bursaries. If being mousy/quiet is something you enjoy/is a part of your personality you're happy with, you don't need to pretend be loud to make friends, but if it's bc you felt uncomfortable voicing yourself, then try and grow over these 2 years and make friends with people who help you to do that, and you can also go to the heads of year if you need help.

Hope this was helpful! And best of wishes, make the most of it = ).
How are you doing now? have you made any new friends?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending