The Student Room Group

They are going to starve and freeze you to death and want you to blame Russia

I know how we solve the energy crisis this winter

Start trading with Russia!

Was anyone in Britain asked if they wanted to stop trading with Russia?
Reply 1
Original post by minpum

Yup, the PM and Cabinet.
Reply 2
I'll be honest, I didn't do much trade with Russia before this year.

Like I part owned Nordstream2 which is now effectively a white elephant, but the oil and gas price has more than made up for that.

Did you do much trade with Russia?
Reply 3
Original post by minpum

How has your trade with Russia been affected?
Reply 4
Who is 'they'?
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
Who is 'they'?

'anyone in Britain'?
I don’t know about you but I traded with Russia all the time! I remember one fateful day, I had recently bought a bottle of True Russian Vodka™️ when Vladimir ‘The Man’ Putin himself arrived at my doorstep! He congratulated me for single-handedly keeping Russia economy alive and wanted to thank me personally. I went up to shake his hand, but I slipped and accidentally dropped the bottle of vodka onto his pristine suit. He was so angry that he ordered his 420 bodyguards to open fire on me. So anyway, I’m now writing this from heaven, and I can’t believe that the so-called ‘Prime Minister’ would infringe in my rights like this! What an absolute joke!

P.S Met God, he’s pretty chill.
Reply 7
Original post by minpum

Good point. And similarly, we could bring down the price of illegal drugs by getting the government to subsidise them. Are your morals really so intact that you would start paying money to someone who doesn't think twice about invading a country? You do realise we would become the laughing stock of the world?
The vast majority of British people support the sanctions, and 50% think they don't go far enough.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/14/westerners-in-no-mood-for-concessions-to-russia-in-ukraine-poll-finds
Reply 9
Original post by Saracen's Fez
The vast majority of British people support the sanctions, and 50% think they don't go far enough.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/14/westerners-in-no-mood-for-concessions-to-russia-in-ukraine-poll-finds

An interesting percentage. Although i have two main questions:
1) How many of these people are noting that a significant cause of the price increase is the various sanctions
2) How many have believed the government spiel that the price increases are in fact all Putiuns fault and the line that they're not is Russian propaganda

Food for thought. Although that makes me wonder a 3rd thing, what the actual figures are for the cost of sanctions in terms of oil price increases, energy etc..
Reply 10
Original post by hotpud
Good point. And similarly, we could bring down the price of illegal drugs by getting the government to subsidise them. Are your morals really so intact that you would start paying money to someone who doesn't think twice about invading a country? You do realise we would become the laughing stock of the world?

Why would we be squeamish about it? Most of our trading partners for minerals and oil do exactly that.. be it Saudi, UAE, China, Nigeria, DRC, Ethiopia etc. etc.
Lets be frank, there's only a couple of real differences between the barbarism in the east and that across Africa, Arabia and Asia, those differences have nothing to do with scruples on helping the needy. The various African nations who decried this aid when they got nothing are bang on the money...

Too few people paid attention to the vast number of countries who abstained from the UN vote. Almost all of them feel extremely hard done by the double standards here. if they have a conflict the west simply 'urges peace' and thats it. they dont get tens of billions in arms sent to them..

Now, with all that in mind, can you tell me what morals have to do with this? As from where im sitting its quite clear that morals are nothing but a sweet pretext and there are a couple of salient reasons that are clearly immoral at play here. One is this is simply a nice handy excuse to bash the Russians and ensure they gain no power influence in the east (actively loser it is best) the other i,s quite simply that thed're European and hel;d to a different standard. Of course there are various strategic, political and economic reasons as well but to deny race isn't a major factor here seems rather touching.
Reply 11
Original post by Napp
Although that makes me wonder a 3rd thing, what the actual figures are for the cost of sanctions in terms of oil price increases, energy etc..

Pretty impossible to tell.

The price of those things jumped on the build up to and actual invasion, rather than the sanctions.

I mean a guess can be taken, but it's a guess since the counterfactuals are tricky to work out.
Rubbish - Life will be hard and uncomfortable, the likes many of us don't yet know. But fatal - not to most of us (sedentary elderly excepted). The Green Party will be getting quite giddy achieving in 7 months what it couldn't get done in .decades for reducing oil and gas consumption. Goodness someone will say 'put a jumper on' and 'turn off the lights' next.

If human beings can survive the Gulag's in Siberia then the answer has to be Yes - 'we are warmer here than Siberia'

Our biggest threat is still the odd man hiding in the bunker - "Vladimir you can come out now"

"Coming" ..... ready or not
Reply 13
At this point, the Ukraine-sceptic position is simply the fascist position. Unfortunately, the Western world siding with Ukraine (which is morally the correct stance) means that oil and gas are more expensive for us. The true critical position is to say: why didn't the European nations (including UK) make themselves not enegry-dependent on a power run by a fascist dictator? Same is true of us and the Saudis.

Ukraine-scepticism without criticism of Western energy policy is currently the pro-Putin position, because what is Ukraine supposed to do? Allow Russia to conquer it? Ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending