The Student Room Group

Homesick

I absolutely love uni and when I’m there I don’t feel homesick. When I started in September i was really homesick for a few days then it got better and I didn’t feel homesick anymore but the two times I’ve been home since it brings it all back and I hate feeling like this.
Reply 1
Keep reminding yourself that it is your choice to go and study. Look at all of the positive experiences you have had since you started. Reassure yourself that it is OK to feel so good about home, and so sad when you leave it. It would be a very sorry day for you if all of your family experiences were so negative that the very thought of home created no emotion and just despair. For some this is a genuine reality.

Remind yourself too that you can't live at home forever but your head will always be with your 'home' and your family. One day you may be providing that 'home' too for your own family. This is just one of many exciting stages for you in a lifetime of finding out about the world and the people in it.

Its OK to feel like you do. It is lovely that you love your family so much to feel like that. Just roll with the emotions and stay positive.
Original post by Anonymous
I absolutely love uni and when I’m there I don’t feel homesick. When I started in September i was really homesick for a few days then it got better and I didn’t feel homesick anymore but the two times I’ve been home since it brings it all back and I hate feeling like this.

Hello,
Sorry to hear that you have been feeling homesick. Moving out for Uni is a big step and it is rarely an easy one. It is great that for the most part you have loved uni.
It is ok and natural to feel homesick so try not to be soo hard on yourself. It sounds like going home and coming back to Uni is what causes you to feel homesick which is normal but you don't want it to make you feel down and also you don't want it to have a negative impact when you don't have uni over summer.
My advice is to do things at Uni you enjoy when you are feeling homesick. Things that bring you joy and remind you of all that you have achieved from moving out and the things you are able to do at uni. If you have hobbies or are involved in societies emerse yourself in that. Also enjoy your time when you do go home - don't fret about going home and then your return to uni as this may only make your homesickness worse. Call home if it helps.
Remember your not alone and many students feel the same way you do. Don't let it bottle up and hopefully you will feel less homesick the more that you are at uni.
Catherine :-) Student Ambassador Strathclyde University

Hey,

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling this way but being homesick is completely normal - I am currently in my final year and still feel homesick after I've visited home. It is hard but you can find ways to make it feel easier.

I find it comforting to call home - are you able to do this perhaps? Or if 'doing things' are better, are you in any societies? Or can go hang out with some friends after you've visited home so you can have some company? Even inviting someone from home to come visit you could be nice. Rather than physically visiting home, could 'home' visit you? Whether this be family or friends, it is nice for them to see your life at university and can be a bit easier to say goodbye for a little while.

I hope this helps and if you do need any extra support, your university services can help you.

All the best,
Sara
Hey, I'm sorry that you're going through this, feeling homesick is horrible and it can be very consuming and overwhelming. Do make sure you're speaking to people about how you are feeling, as I can assure you that you're not alone and it is a very common emotion while being away from friends and family for university.

I have struggled with the same feelings for the three years that I've been at university. You might be doing this already but my advice would be to keep in regular contact with those at home, so you can keep up to date with what's going on in their lives while being away. I would also say to keep yourself busy, spending time with friends, keeping on top of university work and even getting a part-time job may give you some-what of a distraction from these emotions. Do remind yourself that it's perfectly okay to feel like this, so don't suppress your emotions, but keeping yourself busy might help.

Also, I've found that my three years at uni have gone so quickly and it has got a lot easier for me! So, remember these feelings won't last forever and you will find your own way to deal with these emotions.

I really hope this helps,
Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambasedor

(edited 1 year ago)

Hi,
Sorry to hear about that, it is totally normal to feel homesick for a while but don't feel bad about it. Here are a few ways you can cope or manage homesickness and the feeling it brings; acknowledge and let yourself feel homesick for a while, go out and keep yourself busy, maybe bring home comforts to school like blankets etc, explore your new surroundings when at Uni, develop healthy habits like journaling and exercising, make new friends, find out what makes you homesick, stay in touch with home but not too much, seek support if you are unhappy and have difficulties coping.

Keep in mind that your feelings are normal. With time, it gets better and you'd feel comfortable in uni no matter how many times you go home.

Benedicta,
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending