The Student Room Group

i write 650 words for a 1000 word uni assignment

is there any chance that I don’t fail 🧍*♀️

update!! : i got my results back and turns out i got a 2:1
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the8thv

Did the requirement specify a minimum of 1000 words? Or was the 1000 words more of a guideline?

Even if it were a guideline, 650 words falls way below the expectation. It might not be a fail, but it's unlikely to produce a mark you'll be happy with.
Original post by the8thv

As DV says, it's very unlikely that writing only two-thirds of the maximum permitted word count would yield anything approaching a decent assignment, so it's quite possible that you'd fail it. 1000 words is nothing: I'd be worried about how I could prune my work down to fit in that tiny word count!

We have TSR posts on "I Hate My Sister" which are regularly 2000 words or longer. Surely you can do some more work on this assignment?
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Did the requirement specify a minimum of 1000 words? Or was the 1000 words more of a guideline?

Even if it were a guideline, 650 words falls way below the expectation. It might not be a fail, but it's unlikely to produce a mark you'll be happy with.

1000 words is the maximum i genuinely could not think of anything more I could put into it as I honestly don’t understand this topic whatsoever I was hoping that I could at least scrape a pass
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
As DV says, it's very unlikely that writing only two-thirds of the maximum permitted word count would yield anything approaching a decent assignment, so it's quite possible that you'd fail it. 1000 words is nothing: I'd be worried about how I could prune my work down to fit in that tiny word count!

We have TSR posts on "I Hate My Sister" which are regularly 2000 words or longer. Surely you can do some more work on this assignment?

Yeah I understand 1000 isn’t that much but genuinely I have nothing else to write because I don’t understand the question
Original post by the8thv
Yeah I understand 1000 isn’t that much but genuinely I have nothing else to write because I don’t understand the question

In that case, I recommend you speak to the module leader and seek some clarification and guidance on this question, so you can actually do a decent assignment on it. Don't just write rubbish and submit it: be proactive and take the necessary steps to succeed at the assignment!
Original post by the8thv

It’s not about quantity it’s about quality :rolleyes:
I mean usually you can get away with 10% either side. Anymore and your usually capped at a specific grade
Reply 8
In that case, I recommend you speak to the module leader and seek some clarification and guidance on this question, so you can actually do a decent assignment on it. Don't just write rubbish and submit it: be proactive and take the necessary steps to succeed at the assignment!

That would be the appropriate thing to do however the assignment deadline is in 40 minutes :s-smilie:
Original post by the8thv
That would be the appropriate thing to do however the assignment deadline is in 40 minutes :s-smilie:

Oh...

In that case, better to submit something than nothing. Just have to keep this in mind for next time. :smile:
Reply 10
Oh...

In that case, better to submit something than nothing. Just have to keep this in mind for next time. :smile:

This assignment is worth 25% of the module, i know all uni's probably work differently but if i fail this assignment do you recon i'd have to do it again?
If there is only an upper word count of 1000 words, then there is leeway below that. However, I would be looking at how those missing 350 words could have been used. if there are big things missing or underworked/underdeveloped sections, then those 350 words could have been used to good effect. If the minimum requirements have been addressed, theoretically you could pass BUT the low word count is a warning that something isn't right.

OK too late for this one but as @Reality Check says, something to bear in mind for future assignments.
(edited 1 year ago)
Your University should either on their website and or in your course module booklets tell you in writing how much leeway they give, what counts in the word count and what happens if you go over the leeway or under the leeway in your writing.

Usually a lot of Universities have a 10% over or 10% under policy, but it is usually down to the discretion of a marker individually as to what grade they may prescribe you. For example, if the academic quality of your work is great/excellent (it has met the content marking criteria in a far more than satisfactory way), then you would likely not fail if you went 350 words over or under that 1000 word count, but you would probably be capped at a particular grade as you have not met the word count/style requirement, or the under leeway in this case (10% under of 1000 words would be 900 words max). So I'd venture a guess you'd probably be capped if it was a great or excellent quality piece of academic work at a 2.2 or a low 2.1.

Only time will tell, some markers are very strict, others can be a bit irked by it but will still pass you or give a grade that's above a pass that reflects the quality of the stuff that has been written.
(edited 1 year ago)
It amazes me that people still reply to these threads with 'it's about quality' etc. The chances of 600 words being 'high quality' at undergraduate level are vanishingly small. You are not going to write 'quality' without some degree of quantity, and advice to the contrary is idiocy dressed up as reassurance.
Original post by gjd800
It amazes me that people still reply to these threads with 'it's about quality' etc. The chances of 600 words being 'high quality' at undergraduate level are vanishingly small. You are not going to write 'quality' without some degree of quantity, and advice to the contrary is idiocy dressed up as reassurance.

The chances were definitely lowered when the OP admitted that they "don’t understand this topic whatsoever".
Original post by Admit-One
The chances were definitely lowered when the OP admitted that they "don’t understand this topic whatsoever".

Yes, it is incredible what nonsense people will com eout with on here!
Original post by the8thv

Hey there @the8thv !
Usually when lecturers set a word count, you're allowed to be 10% under or 10% over. However, in your case unfortunately you're not in that bracket. Have you also took into consideration that references in-text and in the reference list at the end aren't included in the word count? I don't think you'll fail per-say, I'd just expected your grade to be lowered to a certain mark. Not every topic will be your forte and sometimes you aren't going to do as well in some topics than others. That's completely normal and you shouldn't put yourself down about it.

If you haven't submitted it yet then I suggest going back over it and writing a structure out on a separate piece of paper. Have you got everything an essay needs? (introduction, literature review, critical analysis and conclusion etc.) If not then why don't you try and restructure the work you already have and fill in the gaps with some more information. If all else fails, add another case study in to further back up your point. Make sure your work uses words from the question in to show that you've fully answered it. Have you argued both sides of the argument? Just some things to think about. If you've already handed it in then use these ideas for next time as that's how I usually get my word count up.

edit: I should have specified here that whether the references are included in the word count depends on the referencing style that your university uses. For example, we use APA and they say that references are excluded from the word count but it completely depends on what your university-recommended referencing style says.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
(edited 1 year ago)
The grade won't be 'capped', it just won't be enough to achieve a good one. You lot have some strange opinions on what goes into marking.

A marker is not gonna look at it, see the wordcount, and say 'well, that's capped at 50' (which is what 'capping' actually means). They will mark it as normal and it will very likely be a poor piece of work in virtue of its being too short to treat the subject matter with the gravitas required. The mark will reflect the quality, not a 'cap'.

Also - it's not always the case the references are excluded. In a piece this short, probably. But sometimes they are not (where I work includes the refs in their wordcounts), so do not take this for granted. Read and re-read the questionsheet/spec sheet. Know what is expected of you, and if you don't, seek help early on.
Im genuinly curious to hear what mark you get, please update us when you've got it!
Original post by the8thv

Hey,

If you are concerned about your results, I would contact the module lead for any advice or perhaps a tutor. At my uni, there is a +/- 10% on word counts, but I am not sure if it is different. If it is similar, I believe they might deduct marks - but again, I would contact someone at your uni for advice.

All the best,
Sara :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending