The Student Room Group

Not being paid enough for an article

Hello! I've recently been employed to do write articles as a freelancer. They advertised this as a student role, on our student work board.

On beginning the role it was advertised I'd be doing freelance occasional 500-1000 word articles, I was given a 400 word tryout article to write. I did this, this was unpaid, but they said they liked it and brought me on board for this. They mentioned from this point that they'd be charging £30 an article which immediately made me skeptical as I'd been looking online at standard payments and they'd usually be about £120. But given that the article was pretty easy to get through I agreed.

They then assigned me three 1100 articles on very niche subjects. Obviously I can't mention these here otherwise they might catch on I feel dissatisfied but nevertheless they are incredibly difficult to gather information on.

Due to the added length and tricky research I feel particularly undervalued as each article would likely take at least two days each and that being severely under minimum wage.

So what should I do? Should I just bite down, do the articles and get paid or should I ask whether it would be possible for the rate to be higher? Or should I have done this before agreeing? Is it irrational for me to expect more? I don't want to seem entitled, but it does feel as a student I'm being taken advantage of by this agency.
Reply 1
Original post by semiobsessive19
Hello! I've recently been employed to do write articles as a freelancer. They advertised this as a student role, on our student work board.

On beginning the role it was advertised I'd be doing freelance occasional 500-1000 word articles, I was given a 400 word tryout article to write. I did this, this was unpaid, but they said they liked it and brought me on board for this. They mentioned from this point that they'd be charging £30 an article which immediately made me skeptical as I'd been looking online at standard payments and they'd usually be about £120. But given that the article was pretty easy to get through I agreed.

They then assigned me three 1100 articles on very niche subjects. Obviously I can't mention these here otherwise they might catch on I feel dissatisfied but nevertheless they are incredibly difficult to gather information on.

Due to the added length and tricky research I feel particularly undervalued as each article would likely take at least two days each and that being severely under minimum wage.

So what should I do? Should I just bite down, do the articles and get paid or should I ask whether it would be possible for the rate to be higher? Or should I have done this before agreeing? Is it irrational for me to expect more? I don't want to seem entitled, but it does feel as a student I'm being taken advantage of by this agency.

Hi there!

I think your stance is entirely valid and I believe that you are showing a healthy approach towards self-valuation.

I think it would be wise to contact the other party concerned and highlight your feelings. It is important that you approach the situation constructively and openly, but do not be compromising in the value you place in yourself and your time.

It is entirely possible that the other party has underestimated the extent of the work involved in producing the articles you have been asked to write.

Keep communication clear and constructive, but do not compromise the value of your time and efforts.
Original post by semiobsessive19

The agreement is freelance, so minimum wage doesn't come into it. You try and negotiate what you want, if they won't pay it, you don't accept the work. That's the entire nature of freelance, you successfully negotiate a fee both are happy with, or you don't accept the work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending