The Student Room Group

At what age did you get your first boyfriend/girlfriend?

What age?
I’m just turned 17 and everyone at school has a boyfriend.
I guess I’ve been asked out before, but I just don’t want to have anything to do with a relationship just yet.
Personally, I feel as though I’m too young and I just want to get alevels over with and maybe at uni I’ll start being more social with others.

The school stereotype sucks though because it seems almost ‘embarrassing’ to have never had a boyfriend before.
I wouldn’t consider myself ugly at all, but people at my school look down on you if you’re not in a relationship/been in one.
They just think you’re geeky (which I guess I am haha) and so undateable.

Like sorry that I’d rather get good grades than have a short term relationship which will probably cause me more stress than alevels itself!!
Anyway, thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

I started dating at 16.
I started dating at 14. I still didn't have a meaningful relationship until 17. And I don't think I felt love until I was 22. For the record, I'm currently 30 and very much in love with an incredible woman.

I did have silly childhood partners though. Had a fake wedding at age 4 to a 3 year old. Caused such a scandal on our street.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Your attitude is a healthy one. I started in early 20s, more by lack of opportunity than by choice, but in hindsight I’ve few regrets now
Original post by Anonymous
What age?
I guess I’ve been asked out before, but I just don’t want to have anything to do with a relationship just yet.
Personally, I feel as though I’m too young and I just want to get alevels over with and maybe at uni I’ll start being more social with others.

The school stereotype sucks though because it seems almost ‘embarrassing’ to have never had a boyfriend before.
I wouldn’t consider myself ugly at all, but people at my school look down on you if you’re not in a relationship/been in one.

Like sorry that I’d rather get good grades than have a short term relationship which will probably cause me more stress than alevels itself!!
Anyway, thoughts?

If it makes you feel better, I am your age and single, and it's rare to see relationships at my school, although I do want to be in one. You've got the right mindset, though.
Reply 5
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
but in hindsight I’ve few regrets now

Without the counterfactual how is your hindsight of any merit?
What age?

Anyway, thoughts?

completely agree with this. im 16 and ive never dated eont want to until uni. ive been asked a couple of times but no i would rather study >.<
also strict parents lolL
Original post by 1582
I started dating at 14. I still didn't have a meaningful relationship until 17. And I don't think I felt love until I was 22. For the record, I'm currently 30 and very much in love with an incredible woman.

I did have silly childhood partners though. Had a fake wedding at age 4 to a 3 year old. Caused such a scandal on our street.

This made me chuckle, I also got married at 4! It’s a shame they changed the law to 18 now 😂
I’m the same 17, in sixth form, almost 18 but I give myself a pass because I’m muslim 😭 even tho I can’t date I wouldn’t expect any guys to approach me anyways bc I also wear a hijab. I hate the stereotype too that everyone should have a bf/gf and that’s all everyone talks about, sometimes I wish my friends wouldn’t always go on about their boyfriends. But who cares our time will come and at least we aren’t just getting in relationships bc it’s the norm. I’m just focusing on my grades rn no boyfriends so when I’m older I can worry abt relationships and no offence (pls no one come for me) but most of them end up breaking up anyway 😶 or using each other for things… and I don’t think it’s a bad thing they’re in relationships bc maybe they’re just more mature than me 🤷🏾*♀️but I just don’t think it’s a necessity, I feel like it’s just become a commodity to have a bf, it’s not. If you have one good on you and if you don’t good on you! It’s 100% better to just focus on ur a levels now bc we are actually so young, the world is so big and it’s VERY unlikely your soulmate goes to your college, most ppl r just in them for fun.
Original post by 1582

When you started dating at 14, did you actually feel anything from the relationship? Or was it just something silly?
I’m the same 17, in sixth form, almost 18 but I give myself a pass because I’m muslim 😭 even tho I can’t date I wouldn’t expect any guys to approach me anyways bc I also wear a hijab. I hate the stereotype too that everyone should have a bf/gf and that’s all everyone talks about, sometimes I wish my friends wouldn’t always go on about their boyfriends. But who cares our time will come and at least we aren’t just getting in relationships bc it’s the norm. I’m just focusing on my grades rn no boyfriends so when I’m older I can worry abt relationships and no offence (pls no one come for me) but most of them end up breaking up anyway 😶 or using each other for things… and I don’t think it’s a bad thing they’re in relationships bc maybe they’re just more mature than me 🤷🏾*♀️but I just don’t think it’s a necessity, I feel like it’s just become a commodity to have a bf, it’s not. If you have one good on you and if you don’t good on you! It’s 100% better to just focus on ur a levels now bc we are actually so young, the world is so big and it’s VERY unlikely your soulmate goes to your college, most ppl r just in them for fun.

so true!!
I agree with pretty much all of this!
Our time will come hehe
Original post by beatriz_c
When you started dating at 14, did you actually feel anything from the relationship? Or was it just something silly?

I felt something. It was serious enough that almost 17 years later I still care about that person.
Original post by 1582
I felt something. It was serious enough that almost 17 years later I still care about that person.

that’s pretty cool.
I mean, I liked this guy when I was 15. I still sometimes sit with him and talk to him. I’m 17 now and I’m still kind of inlove with the guy…

But 17 years wow!!
Reply 14
that’s pretty cool.
I mean, I liked this guy when I was 15. I still sometimes sit with him and talk to him. I’m 17 now and I’m still kind of inlove with the guy…

But 17 years wow!!

Why are you anon...?
Original post by Quady

What was it like? Dating at 11? Isn't that too early? What was it like? How did it feel? What are your experiences of dating at that age?
This made me chuckle, I also got married at 4! It’s a shame they changed the law to 18 now 😂

I got engaged at 7! I shouldn't have ran away at the altar though...
14 I think.

OP there's nothing to say you can't hold off, but if you're counting on uni you might find the social skills in romance just not there. 100s of threads here every year about students who expected romance to fall into their lap at uni and frustrated that everything seemed to pass them by.
Reply 18
Original post by beatriz_c
What was it like? Dating at 11? Isn't that too early? What was it like? How did it feel? What are your experiences of dating at that age?

It was alight. Was a bit childish, like we didn't know what to do but then age I didn't know at 25 either.
Experiences? Well we had sex but it was pretty vanilla.
Original post by Quady
It was alight. Was a bit childish, like we didn't know what to do but then age I didn't know at 25 either.
Experiences? Well we had sex but it was pretty vanilla.

You had sex at 11? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

P.S. Sorry if I'm asking too many questions.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending