The Student Room Group

I haven’t heard back from any universities and it’s been 4 weeks

I applied after the deadline, so I knew that my application no longer fell under equal consideration and that it would’ve taken longer than people who applied before the deadline. I also made sure that the universities I applied to were still accepting applications and still had availability on the course. I applied for Biomedical Science at Reading, Royal Holloway, Portsmouth, Brighton, and Westminster. I’ve also had confirmation that they’ve all received my application.

But it’s now been 4 weeks since I applied and I haven’t heard back from anywhere. I knew that it would take a while, and that it hasn’t passed the deadline yet, but then a friend of mine who applied a week AFTER me has had rejections from three places already, and one of those was from a university I’ve also applied to.

Please, if I’m being ridiculously impatient, tell me. I honestly don’t know if four weeks is a short amount of time to hear back. I’m also concerned that by the time I hear back, if I’m accepted, it’ll be too late to apply for halls.

Am I just being impatient or do you think I should contact admissions?
4 weeks is nothing, most take at least month, month and a half to reply. And that's if you apply on time.
unis have at least may-ish to respond. some people (me inc) applied in october and still havent received decisions from all unis so u just gotta wait it out however painful it is xD
Original post by winnerhadacoffee
unis have at least may-ish to respond. some people (me inc) applied in october and still havent received decisions from all unis so u just gotta wait it out however painful it is xD

Yep same. Its been 7 months and I still haven't heard back from some
You're being impatient. (You did ask!)

The average decision time for any course is 7 weeks. That means that for anyone that gets a decision sooner than that, another person has to wait longer, sometimes much longer. There's plenty of October applicants still waiting for example.

As your friend has seen, a quick decision is not always a positive one, so you are in a better position than them. Consider any reply before the decision deadline for late applications, (12th July I believe), a bonus.
Original post by larry2828
I applied after the deadline, so I knew that my application no longer fell under equal consideration and that it would’ve taken longer than people who applied before the deadline. I also made sure that the universities I applied to were still accepting applications and still had availability on the course. I applied for Biomedical Science at Reading, Royal Holloway, Portsmouth, Brighton, and Westminster. I’ve also had confirmation that they’ve all received my application.

But it’s now been 4 weeks since I applied and I haven’t heard back from anywhere. I knew that it would take a while, and that it hasn’t passed the deadline yet, but then a friend of mine who applied a week AFTER me has had rejections from three places already, and one of those was from a university I’ve also applied to.

Please, if I’m being ridiculously impatient, tell me. I honestly don’t know if four weeks is a short amount of time to hear back. I’m also concerned that by the time I hear back, if I’m accepted, it’ll be too late to apply for halls.

As you applied after the equal consideration deadline you are at the bottom of the queue and will be considered after universities have considered those before the deadline. Universities have thousands of application in the run up to the deadline so will take time before they come to yours. You need to be patient. If you wanted an earlier reply you should have applied sooner.
Sometimes other factors can delay an offer like if the university has asked you to confirm something like the exact course you are doing, or if you haven't provided a reference. Other delays could be where your application may be considered 'borderline' and the central admissions team are asking the academics in school if they can accept you. If you are worried you can contact the admissions team, but theres still plenty of time. In Bangor we continue to get applications and make offers right up to clearing.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
As you applied after the equal consideration deadline you are at the bottom of the queue and will be considered after universities have considered those before the deadline. Universities have thousands of application in the run up to the deadline so will take time before they come to yours. You need to be patient. If you wanted an earlier reply you should have applied sooner.

I totally get that. I didnt apply before the deadline because I was meant to be moving overseas, and plans changed. Im not complaining that it’s taking so long to hear back - it was just a question. I’ve never applied to university in this country before, and Im a mature student so I don’t have other friends applying that I can ask for this sort of stuff. I was more so asking because the one friend I had who did apply after me has heard back from now two of the same universities with rejections.
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
You're being impatient. (You did ask!)

The average decision time for any course is 7 weeks. That means that for anyone that gets a decision sooner than that, another person has to wait longer, sometimes much longer. There's plenty of October applicants still waiting for example.

As your friend has seen, a quick decision is not always a positive one, so you are in a better position than them. Consider any reply before the decision deadline for late applications, (12th July I believe), a bonus.

I did ask! Thank you. I’m considered a mature student and most of my friends in this country either never went to uni or went so long ago, so I don’t really have anyone in the UK to ask about this sort of stuff.
I guess my impatience is coming from my friend hearing back from now two of the same universities with rejections, but I never really considered that some universities might send certain rejections first.
Thank you for your response! It’s helped a lot!
As others on this thread have already said, the average waiting time for a decision is 7 weeks. However, if your friends receive offers/rejections from the unis you've applied to and you don't receive anything, it doesn't mean that you've been rejected! Unis process applications in a random order - it's not first come first serve. However, since you did apply late, your application is at the bottom of the queue.

I've applied for biomed too! :five: If you're looking to chat with fellow biomed applicants, you can do so here, and you can join uni applicant groups to talk to people too! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by sleep_supremacy
As others on this thread have already said, the average waiting time for a decision is 7 weeks. However, if your friends receive offers/rejections from the unis you've applied to and you don't receive anything, it doesn't mean that you've been rejected! Unis process applications in a random order - it's not first come first serve. However, since you did apply late, your application is at the bottom of the queue.

I've applied for biomed too! :five: If you're looking to chat with fellow biomed applicants, you can do so here, and you can join uni applicant groups to talk to people too! :smile:

I honestly didn’t know that the average waiting time was 7 weeks so that makes me feel better, thank you!

I totally expected my application to be at the bottom of the queue. I wasn’t even concerned about that until my friend heard back, even though they applied after me. They were unfortunately rejected, but it sort of freaked me out a bit that their application was sent a week after mine and they heard back first. But I also didn’t consider that some universities send out rejections quicker than offers.

Thank you for the help! And good luck studying biomed! I started the degree overseas and it was a lot of fun
Original post by larry2828

I applied back in November and still haven’t heard back from a uni. Just sit tight xD
@larry2828

Any joy?

Have you heard back from any of the universities you applied to?

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending