The Student Room Group

Leicester vs Leeds

I recently got all responses from my universities for comp sci related courses, so now I have to decide which one to firm, which I'm having a hard time doing because I have to consider scholarships (I am international so it's pretty important). My main choice is between Leicester and Uni of Leeds.

Is Leeds worth a significantly higher financial investment because of its reputation and student life?

Update: I firmed Leicester since the scholarship and cost of living is much better there. Leeds was my preference if I'm going to be honest but I'm really quite happy with Leicester and will probably be a lot more relaxed there.
(edited 1 year ago)
What is the net cost for tuition fees at each option? Size of scholarships is rarely meaningful - its the cost after scholarships which matters.
the 15k scholarship is a big factor. Leceister is ok as a city but Leeds is a buzzing student city. With so many unis in Leeds there is a huge student population.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
What is the net cost for tuition fees at each option? Size of scholarships is rarely meaningful - its the cost after scholarships which matters.

In my case I only am responsible for the local portion of the pees. In other words, £27 750 at both.
Reply 4
Original post by mike23mike
the 15k scholarship is a big factor. Leceister is ok as a city but Leeds is a buzzing student city. With so many unis in Leeds there is a huge student population.

Does the hefty student population in Leeds make for much of a difference in lifestyle, do you think?
Original post by KingPiEta
In my case I only am responsible for the local portion of the pees. In other words, £27 750 at both.

So both courses would cost you £28k, or Leicester would cost £28K less the £15k scholarship and Leeds £28k less £5k scholarship?
Reply 6
I recently got all responses from my universities for comp sci related courses, so now I have to decide which one to firm, which I'm having a hard time doing because I have to consider scholarships (I am international so it's pretty important). My main choice is between Leicester and Uni of Leeds.

Is Leeds objectively better than Leicester or won't it make much of a difference?

Leeds:
-Pros: Ranked 15th for Comp Sci, Russel Group, great student life (from what I've heard) in city with plenty of jobs going, a lot of non-uni cheapish accommodation, very nice campus
-Cons: 5k scholarship (not great for what I need anyway), expensive halls, less societies that I'm interested in (do societies matter much in the end?)

Leicester:
-Pros: 15k scholarship, decent student life, wonderfully cheap halls with good transport, nice-looking societies,
-Cons: Ranked 31st for Comp Sci, smaller and less impressive campus

If anyone can debunk any of my pros or cons or offer insight into student life or course/lecture quality that would be incredibly helpful. In theory I could go to either, but I'd have to do a fair amount of part-time work to afford Leeds and I don't know if it would be worth it.

I’m from Leicester and personally don’t think the city centre is good but I know a few people that go to uni there (that grew up in Leicestershire) and really like it. The city centre is basically all closed up shops but if you are not someone that interested in shopping then it’s not an issue
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
So both courses would cost you £28k, or Leicester would cost £28K less the £15k scholarship and Leeds £28k less £5k scholarship?

It's 28K excluding scholarships. Therefore, at Leicester, it's £28K - £15K = 13K and at Leeds it's £28K - £5K = £23K. Very big difference
Reply 8
Original post by Rubycs4
I’m from Leicester and personally don’t think the city centre is good but I know a few people that go to uni there (that grew up in Leicestershire) and really like it. The city centre is basically all closed up shops but if you are not someone that interested in shopping then it’s not an issue

That's good to know. I'm not really one for shopping for leisure but if the city centre is kind of dead then it may be less attractive regardless.
Reply 9
Leeds is a fab uni, campus, SU and city! I might be a tad biased mind
Does the hefty student population in Leeds make for much of a difference in lifestyle, do you think?

Yes, most certainly

Is Leeds objectively better than Leicester or won't it make much of a difference?

Leeds:
-Pros: Ranked 15th for Comp Sci, Russel Group, great student life (from what I've heard) in city with plenty of jobs going, a lot of non-uni cheapish accommodation, very nice campus
-Cons: 5k scholarship (not great for what I need anyway), expensive halls, less societies that I'm interested in (do societies matter much in the end?)

Leicester:
-Pros: 15k scholarship, decent student life, wonderfully cheap halls with good transport, nice-looking societies,
-Cons: Ranked 31st for Comp Sci, smaller and less impressive campus

If anyone can debunk any of my pros or cons or offer insight into student life or course/lecture quality that would be incredibly helpful. In theory I could go to either, but I'd have to do a fair amount of part-time work to afford Leeds and I don't know if it would be worth it.

Update: I firmed Leicester since the scholarship and cost of living is much better there. Leeds was my preference if I'm going to be honest but I'm really quite happy with Leicester.

Hi there,
It looks like you've really considered both options and done your research! Ultimately, this is your decision so once you've concluded what is most important to you then you'll be able to choose your university accordingly.

We have done a couple of student guides for Leicester, these might help give you more of a feel for the city:
Guide to Leicester festivals: https://bit.ly/3QTUVHg
Student guide to Leicester: https://bit.ly/3K1iw6Q

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Reply 12
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi there,
It looks like you've really considered both options and done your research! Ultimately, this is your decision so once you've concluded what is most important to you then you'll be able to choose your university accordingly.

We have done a couple of student guides for Leicester, these might help give you more of a feel for the city:
Guide to Leicester festivals: https://bit.ly/3QTUVHg
Student guide to Leicester: https://bit.ly/3K1iw6Q

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Thanks for the info; it is helpful to read about. I finally recently decided to firm Leicester so hopefully these things will be particularly relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending