The Student Room Group

I don't know what vibes I give out?

I literally spoke to a couple of uni acquaintances/friends and I said I was going to go out with my friends tomorrow and they said "oh you have friends?" I asked them why they said that and they said I don't give off the vibe that I have friends or many friends. This has hurt me but its not the first time I've gotten this. People seem to be surprised or joke when I say I have friends, they always respond with "is it?" or "really?". I don't know why? I 've never had a big group of friends, even when I tried I was always on the sidelines. I just have few solid friends that I've had for years and I don't really like groups because most times they're fake. I do struggle in making new friends. Its either not many people approach me; I never pass the small talk with people; or we start to become friendly and then they just start behaving funny towards me for no reason. But I'm an energetic and sociable person when you talk to me, and I'm confident, so I'm surprised if I'm giving people loner vibes.
Original post by Sey2029
I literally spoke to a couple of uni acquaintances/friends and I said I was going to go out with my friends tomorrow and they said "oh you have friends?" I asked them why they said that and they said I don't give off the vibe that I have friends or many friends. This has hurt me but its not the first time I've gotten this. People seem to be surprised or joke when I say I have friends, they always respond with "is it?" or "really?". I don't know why? I 've never had a big group of friends, even when I tried I was always on the sidelines. I just have few solid friends that I've had for years and I don't really like groups because most times they're fake. I do struggle in making new friends. Its either not many people approach me; I never pass the small talk with people; or we start to become friendly and then they just start behaving funny towards me for no reason. But I'm an energetic and sociable person when you talk to me, and I'm confident, so I'm surprised if I'm giving people loner vibes.

Are you a girl? Cause idk the comment sounds very catty. Like why would they say that. In the long run, having a solid group of friends you can rely on will be best. BUT maybe you give off don’t chat to me vibes initially (you said you’re energetic once people talk to you). An easy solution but not easy to do is smile (with teeth lol, science shows people respond well to this). It’s annoying to have to be so conscious of your self but you don’t want to give negative vibes esp cause this can affect things like interviews and just other facets of life. I hope this helps but I lowkey feel like I need more info 😂
Reply 2
Original post by optimizz101
Are you a girl? Cause idk the comment sounds very catty. Like why would they say that. In the long run, having a solid group of friends you can rely on will be best. BUT maybe you give off don’t chat to me vibes initially (you said you’re energetic once people talk to you). An easy solution but not easy to do is smile (with teeth lol, science shows people respond well to this). It’s annoying to have to be so conscious of your self but you don’t want to give negative vibes esp cause this can affect things like interviews and just other facets of life. I hope this helps but I lowkey feel like I need more info 😂

It sounds very catty but I'm used to it as I get it a lot. I just think I'm a destined outsider at this point 😂 I try to be friendly but I just don't go around initiating conversations (unless I feel like I'm getting the same energy back) and taking the lead because I end up being the one who seems like a beg in the end.

I've had bad experiences. I had a time where I was generally approaching people, being social and attending every social functions. I met one person who seemed cool, but I was always initiating conversations first, being their stand in friend when their friends weren't in. They would ignore me or talk to me less when their friends were around and I would have to force myself into the group but they ignored me. They always loved to come to me for help mostly and I would help them. I thought we were friends but they never invited me to any outings they hosted or talked to me unless I did first. I just generally find that no one talks to me unless I approach them and then after they ignore me again 😂.

I end up in small talk with most people and it always feels awkward when I try to progress it to a friendship because I never get the same energy reciprocated. Or say for example I'm getting close to someone, they end up distancing themselves randomly when I've done nothing wrong and make me work just to speak to them or be around them. Then they end up getting close to someone else and I'm left alone again 😂. I'm content with the small group of friends I have but I don't know why people see me as a loner 😪😂
Original post by Sey2029
It sounds very catty but I'm used to it as I get it a lot. I just think I'm a destined outsider at this point 😂 I try to be friendly but I just don't go around initiating conversations (unless I feel like I'm getting the same energy back) and taking the lead because I end up being the one who seems like a beg in the end.

I've had bad experiences. I had a time where I was generally approaching people, being social and attending every social functions. I met one person who seemed cool, but I was always initiating conversations first, being their stand in friend when their friends weren't in. They would ignore me or talk to me less when their friends were around and I would have to force myself into the group but they ignored me. They always loved to come to me for help mostly and I would help them. I thought we were friends but they never invited me to any outings they hosted or talked to me unless I did first. I just generally find that no one talks to me unless I approach them and then after they ignore me again 😂.

I end up in small talk with most people and it always feels awkward when I try to progress it to a friendship because I never get the same energy reciprocated. Or say for example I'm getting close to someone, they end up distancing themselves randomly when I've done nothing wrong and make me work just to speak to them or be around them. Then they end up getting close to someone else and I'm left alone again 😂. I'm content with the small group of friends I have but I don't know why people see me as a loner 😪😂

I don't really know why you're that bothered if your not a loner tbh. I guess its weird to be perceived as one when your not but...Probably just ignore people I guess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending