The Student Room Group

So Disappointed at Oxbridge

I'm beyond disheartened with university recruiting at this point - I'm convinced the Russell group are out against me.

It started at undergrad where I got rejected from all Russell groups after getting AAA in SQA advanced higher math, stats and business for math study. I went to open days, in summary a good bunch of uni's, like Edinburgh Uni, didn't believe that SQA AH Stats was a subject and suggested I was lying to them about my study. Also got rejected from Cam.

I took it on the chin and went to a mid-level uni in England non-Russell studying math and started to build myself up. Since then I've got a course average of 93% which is the highest the department has seen in 15+ years, I've taken course awards every year, I've had a back office banking internship, a sales and trading internship at a top bucket bank, I'm the leader of an investment society and it's previous VP with 350+ members making it the biggest Society at the uni, I've pulled in PE FPs and Chief Recruiters from Hedge Funds, I've had part time work as a lifeguard throughout uni and literally done everything I can to be competitive. I've stressed my academics and finished top of all my modules excluding 1 - I've never scored less than 83% on a module and the person who is 2nd highest grade average on my course is around 84%.

Time then came around for postgrad study and I really wanted elite MSc Finance oriented subjects. I was kind of relying on scholarships since study can exceed £40k and I'm broke and my parents aren't in the position to be able to help. Since then I've been rejected from Oxford, Cam, ICL and UCL for their top tier courses.

I'm literally at a total loss, I can get roles in legend firms like Goldman in their front office, but when it comes to study, even with everything I've done everything that I possibly can and it just doesn't seem enough. I'm convinced Russell group just don't like me.
It may well be that the reason the RG Unis knocked you back wasn't to do with your grades. It may well be hat some other aspect of your application was lacking, or didn't portray you as fitting what they were looking for in a candidate.

It's almost certainly neither personal nor targetted at you. You just didn't make the cut for whateevr reason. By the sounds of things, it isn't holding you back so just move on, lket it go and be happy.

I went to an RG uni, and was rejected by a load more, and it really isn't as magical and mystical as people often seem to believe. Since then I've also been to a non-RG uni as well as the OU for courses and it's all good. I'd argue that the best learning experience I recieved was at the OU, funnily enough, where a number of my tutors have been OU lecturing as well as holding posts at Oxbridge/Loughborough/UCL etc.

Edited for typos.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending