The Student Room Group

BTEC confusion

So I got my BTEC certificate back on 2018, lost it, never went to uni. I recently received it because I lost it and was doing the ucas calc.

The ucas calculator in the grades section says stuff like DDD DMM etc for the BTEC grades, however when I look at my certificate it literally says "Has been awarded a Distinction in (the subject name)"

what does this mean? I've tried googling everything and it's just giving me ucas points and stuff like that, I want to know what grade is a Distinction, and I'm totally unsure how to work it out because it's been 5 years since I left college haha!!!

thankyou in advance
Original post by lorstrawberries
So I got my BTEC certificate back on 2018, lost it, never went to uni. I recently received it because I lost it and was doing the ucas calc.

The ucas calculator in the grades section says stuff like DDD DMM etc for the BTEC grades, however when I look at my certificate it literally says "Has been awarded a Distinction in (the subject name)"

what does this mean? I've tried googling everything and it's just giving me ucas points and stuff like that, I want to know what grade is a Distinction, and I'm totally unsure how to work it out because it's been 5 years since I left college haha!!!

thankyou in advance

DDD is for an Extended diploma which is worth 3 A levels in UCAS points. Your D on its own is equivalent to 1 A level at Grade A, so is probably a Certificate and if it's 5 years ago is probably the old QCF course. What is the actual full title and subject on the certificate?
Original post by bamtutor
DDD is for an Extended diploma which is worth 3 A levels in UCAS points. Your D on its own is equivalent to 1 A level at Grade A, so is probably a Certificate and if it's 5 years ago is probably the old QCF course. What is the actual full title and subject on the certificate?

I did, or should have done, a full 2 year course under the impression it's a normal btec, that's what I was told at the time anyway. It says "Pearson BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Animal Managment (QCF) with grade Distinction" after goofing Subsidiary Diploma, it just comes up with extended diploma and that is what I applied for and everything.
I did, or should have done, a full 2 year course under the impression it's a normal btec, that's what I was told at the time anyway. It says "Pearson BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Animal Managment (QCF) with grade Distinction" after goofing Subsidiary Diploma, it just comes up with extended diploma and that is what I applied for and everything.

googling not goofing lol

Original post by bamtutor

I've just found out Subsidiary IS the equivalent to one A level, which I'm absolutely ****ed over if that's the case because I had dropped out of one college to do this because I wanted to work with animals. So I went onto this course being told its Extended and 5 years later I'm discovering I've only done a Subsidiary, ugh!!!
I think this query has pretty much been resolved, but the following breakdown might be useful if anyone find the thread in the future:

New RQF BTEC Nationals (Pearson BTEC Level 3)
National Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 0.5 x A level
National Extended Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.0 x A level
National Foundation Diploma (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.5 x A levels
National Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 2.0 x A levels
National Extended Diploma (graded from PPP to D*D*D*) = 3.0 x A levels

Old QCF BTEC Level 3 qualifications
Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 0.5 x A level
Subsidiary Diploma (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.0 x A level
90-credit Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 1.5 x A levels
Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 2.0 x A levels
Extended Diploma (graded from PPP to D*D*D*) = 3.0 x A levels
You will need to do something like a 1-year Access to HE course - Access to HE info - https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/

Or ...... if you want to stay in the same subject area, look at
https://writtle.ac.uk/Foundation-Year-(Animal-Science)
https://www.ntu.ac.uk/course/animal-rural-and-environmental-sciences/ug/fdsc-animal-science
etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending