The Student Room Group

which university should I chose?? pls help

A - very very far from home (7 hour drive) but cheaper and quicker to travel to (1 hour flight)

B- closer to home (4 hour drive) but more expensive to travel to (4hr train)

A or B?

Im going to miss my family and I'm nervous about having to move so far away.
Reply 1
For me and most people I've spoken to, distance from home is irrelevant. Of course, different people have different priorities but the most important thing is the course you are studying. I don't know what stage you are at in choosing a university (quite early I presume based on the month) so for now, forget about the distance from home and ask yourself instead which university offers the course you are most interested in.
(edited 1 year ago)
A sounds like a good option!
Hi I think you should also look at the city, you need to see which city your most comfortable living in and what each has to offer because your life will essentially be there for 3 years and you don't want to pick somewhere you will be miserable.
I hope this helps and I wish you luck.

Joseph - University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous
A - very very far from home (7 hour drive) but cheaper and quicker to travel to (1 hour flight)

A or B?

Go for the better course ...
3 hour back and forth drive won't make a difference when you'll be staying at home for probably 1-3 weeks at a time. Just choose the one with the better course.

A or B?

Hi there,

I think you should look at each city and write down some pros and cons, you are going to be living there for the foreseeable future and you want to make sure that it is somewhere you like.
Everyone is always nervous about moving away for uni, thats totally normal, but if you find a place which you feel could be like your second home that would be really helpful for the days you are missing home.
In terms of distance from family, it is hard but you will be able to find time to go home during term and you may find that while you are worried about it now you may really enjoy the place you end up.
I would say head to some open days and have a look around the cities and see what you prefer.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Reply 7

A or B?

Imo you should visit both cities and see which feels more like it could be your new home. I visited Bristol thinking I would love it and its closer to home but I didn't, then I visited Manchester and knew that fit me so much better that it didn't matter the distance. Cost of visiting home is a big deal, I set aside £10 a week for train tickets and that works on my budget so I can go home when I have the money. The time it takes to get there is less of a big deal imo, unless you are studying something like med, you can take days off at the beginning and end of your week to spend a longer weekend at home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending