The Student Room Group

Have everything you ever wished for, and still feel uneasy?

So just for a little background, I have finally reached my academic goal, and passed my driving test- two things that have taken me a few years and now that I have I don’t know how to feel, because I’m not as excited as I thought I would be, and I don’t me to sound ungrateful because I am incredibly thankful. I just don’t feel anything.
Original post by Anonymous
So just for a little background, I have finally reached my academic goal, and passed my driving test- two things that have taken me a few years and now that I have I don’t know how to feel, because I’m not as excited as I thought I would be, and I don’t me to sound ungrateful because I am incredibly thankful. I just don’t feel anything.

I have felt like this as well, although not after achieving such big goals but after getting some thing I wanted or achieving a smaller goal. I have to smile to everyone to show that I am incredibly happy but deep down I'm feeling empty
Agreed. I think it's because I fixate on this one thing, and want it for so long, and big it up to be really great that when it does happen the reality is somewhat... underwhelming. Like it's not as great as a i thought it would be, and now I've completed my goal I don't have something to work for.
Reply 3
Endzoned
adjective
1. The hollow feeling of having gotten exactly what you wanted, only to learn that it did not make you happy.
Because happiness does not come from these worldy desires. Everyone goes through this.
There are some interesting blogs on YouTube by a guy called sadhguru, one of his points was this - people think that success will make them content but it doesn’t. People strive to improve themselves but realise at the end they are still unsatisfied. This is because being content comes from within and enjoying life in the moment, not external factors.
It's all about the journey, not the destination.
well you've finished doing the thing that was giving your life meaning - so obviously you need a new goal to start working on. Achieving things won't make you that happy, but 'the journey' gives life meaning, and past success lets your know you can take on bigger challenges

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending