The Student Room Group

Confusion with question

Hi,

So I’m really confused (not hard) by one of the questions on my student finace application.

It says…do you, or your partner who is also a student care for a child under 20 in full time education.

So I am married and we have two children aged 6 and 8 who are at school but I’m confused by the wording of you or your partner?? My husband isn’t a student.

Could someone help, I tried calling student finance and the lady had no idea 🤣
Reply 1
Either way, the answer to the question is yes because you care for children under 20. The question is OR, and either of the two case should be true for it to be true and the first case is true, regardless of what the other case may be.
Reply 2
It is a badly worded question as it confusingly implies that you must have a partner who is a student. However I agree with Kschu. For clarity it should be split in to two questions: 1) Do you care for a child in full time education? 2) Do you have a partner who is a student and also looks after a child in full time education
The way it is worded sounds as if it is trying to be inclusive of people who have a partner with children from a previous relationship. Regardless of intention it sounds as though your answer would be yes, because you say you have two kids.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by EmilySmith26.
Hi,

So I’m really confused (not hard) by one of the questions on my student finace application.

It says…do you, or your partner who is also a student care for a child under 20 in full time education.

So I am married and we have two children aged 6 and 8 who are at school but I’m confused by the wording of you or your partner?? My husband isn’t a student.

Could someone help, I tried calling student finance and the lady had no idea 🤣

Hi there, if your partner isn't a student then you would indicate no as both points to this questions would need to be yes to indicate this. If you have a child the team would review this as you would send evidence of your child for the team to review. Thanks, Karen
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, if your partner isn't a student then you would indicate no as both points to this questions would need to be yes to indicate this. If you have a child the team would review this as you would send evidence of your child for the team to review. Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen,

Thank you, could you just explain what you mean in the last part about having a child and SF reviewing it? I haven’t actually started the application yet as was stuck on this question. I will now do it and answer no to this question. 😊
Hi Karen,

Thank you, could you just explain what you mean in the last part about having a child and SF reviewing it? I haven’t actually started the application yet as was stuck on this question. I will now do it and answer no to this question. 😊

This means that when you enter your child's details on the application the team will review the funding that you are entitled to receive based on the details on your application and the evidence that will be provided in support of this. Thanks, Karen
Original post by SFE Karen
This means that when you enter your child's details on the application the team will review the funding that you are entitled to receive based on the details on your application and the evidence that will be provided in support of this. Thanks, Karen

Thank you,

Could I ask another question? Is an adult financially dependent on me? My husband worked full time and earns over 20,000 a year so I assume no?
Thank you,

Could I ask another question? Is an adult financially dependent on me? My husband worked full time and earns over 20,000 a year so I assume no?

If you have an adult that depends on you financially then you can indicate this however if you would be looking to apply for your husband and he earns over £20,000 this wouldn't be classed as a dependent adult. To be classed as an adult dependent the adult would need to earn lower than £3,796. Thanks, Karen
Thank you! That’s really helpful.
Thank you! That’s really helpful.

You're welcome. If there is anything else we can help with in the future please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending