Original post by fig451
Hi, which uni is better?

As in, which should I firm?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by fig451
Hi, which uni is better?

Which course? How do the facilities compare? Do you want a campus uni or a city uni? What about the distance from your home? Would one enable you to commute? Would one be easier to reach from home? Did you visit them? How did you feel? There is no simple answer to this and only you can decide this.
Original post by fig451
Hi, which uni is better?

Bristol is known to be more academic (or thought to be). The accommodation is further away and you need to get a bus around (lots of buses all night), the city is beautiful and fun, with lots of great places and clubs. Their is no single campus. Best for an alt student who's looking for a bigger experience.
Exeter has a very middle-class cohort and as such seems to be softer, welcoming and less edgy. The accommodation is in the Stratham campus (unless you are heading to Falmouth) and is very good quality generally... Penn/Holland and the other one down cardia hill look nice. Best for a student who is looking for a safer experience and wants to be closer to beaches and open country, and prefers a small (but very nice and safe!) city.
Original post by bee-strudel
Bristol is known to be more academic (or thought to be). The accommodation is further away and you need to get a bus around (lots of buses all night), the city is beautiful and fun, with lots of great places and clubs. Their is no single campus. Best for an alt student who's looking for a bigger experience.
Exeter has a very middle-class cohort and as such seems to be softer, welcoming and less edgy. The accommodation is in the Stratham campus (unless you are heading to Falmouth) and is very good quality generally... Penn/Holland and the other one down cardia hill look nice. Best for a student who is looking for a safer experience and wants to be closer to beaches and open country, and prefers a small (but very nice and safe!) city.

Heya, thanks so much for this! Whilst you aren't wrong about certain points (our campuses are located in more country, smaller and safer cities for example!) I'd like to clarify some other aspect of Exeter. Both Exeter and Bristol are part of the Russell Group, which means both are academically rigorous (and respected) research universities. Whilst we've all been exposed to publications on the elitism of UK universities, I disagree that the University of Exeter is 'very middle-class' - I'm a low-income student with care experience, and I never felt on my own or adrift at Exeter for this. The university also have excellent scholarships and bursaries for low-income, care leaver, mature, and sanctuary students to help them overcome any barriers to accessing the university, which can be found here: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/students/finance/studentfunding/bursariesandscholarships/ . There are also a lot of programmes run which can be really helpful to prospective students in understanding more about how to make a successful application to university, and university life, and can help strengthen applications to Exeter: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/accessexeter/ . And there are also contextual offers for Exeter, with a range of qualifying criteria which can be found here: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/entryrequirements/contextual/ . All of these initiatives aim to diversify Exeter and make study accessible to a wider demographic.
As for edginess, I studied at the Exeter campus in Cornwall and I can tell you that it is VERY edgy - the Exeter campus in Cornwall shares a campus with Falmouth University, which is an arts uni. The end result is that the student body is a combination of students studying at Exeter, and edgy arts students from Falmouth, all together in an enviable beachside location. I finished my Masters degree last year, and it is not uncommon for students to love it so much that they stay after they graduate (I have, as have all of my friends!). I can't speak for Bristol (which is also a great uni!) but I hope this helps provide some further insight into what it's like to be a student at Exeter :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending