The Student Room Group

Would you marry him if not financially stable? What even is that

What is financially stable ?

So I’m 26 and my bf is 36. He has a lot of responsibilities and pays them. I live with my mum so I don’t have to pay rent etc.

Anyways we’ve been together 2 years. He hasn’t got much money after paying all his months bills. I don’t complain because I don’t need anything from him I have my own money. However I always hear him complain about all his bills and cost of living and stuff as he should I guess. He says he’s a broke guy. Which I don’t think he is. He owns a Mercedes car and pays it monthly etc so that isn’t broke. Broke is not being able to afford rent or a car. I believe a car is a luxury. It’s quite disturbing when he says he is a broke guy. I remember first dating him he said this. Anyways whatever

I don’t want to get married until I’m fully in my career and stable myself. So I would say next 6/7 years is when I would want to potentially build a family and be a wife.

Anyways getting to the point.
He doesn’t seem financially stable and wants more for himself. He obviously needs a higher salary to have a family etc and do more in life than living from pay check to pay check. And absolutely not want I want in a husband. If we was to get married I wouldn’t marry him until he’s stable and on a higher salary. Money is a big deal and does lead to divorces. Am I wrong for feeling like this.

Also, with this mentality that I have is it ok to stay in the relationship right now because I’m not wanting to get married anytime soon? Or is this something I should seriously think bout before it gets too late. Obviously if he’s in the same position 7 years down the line and it’s not want I want I’ve wasted my time haven’t I
From reading what you wrote I can tell especially towards the end that you already know what you’re supposed to do in this situation. You probably want to hear someone else say it to validate your thinking. You already know what you want for your future and what you won’t be okay settling for, so go in that direction. The sooner you act the fewer consequences to face.

I hope that helps.
Original post by Anonymous
From reading what you wrote I can tell especially towards the end that you already know what you’re supposed to do in this situation. You probably want to hear someone else say it to validate your thinking. You already know what you want for your future and what you won’t be okay settling for, so go in that direction. The sooner you act the fewer consequences to face.

I hope that helps.

Yes I understand that but because it’s not something I want to do Atleast for 7 years. His income can legit change overnight right. So would I throw things away now for something that could change anytime?

So I’m 26 and my bf is 36. He has a lot of responsibilities and pays them. I live with my mum so I don’t have to pay rent etc.

Anyways we’ve been together 2 years. He hasn’t got much money after paying all his months bills. I don’t complain because I don’t need anything from him I have my own money. However I always hear him complain about all his bills and cost of living and stuff as he should I guess. He says he’s a broke guy. Which I don’t think he is. He owns a Mercedes car and pays it monthly etc so that isn’t broke. Broke is not being able to afford rent or a car. I believe a car is a luxury. It’s quite disturbing when he says he is a broke guy. I remember first dating him he said this. Anyways whatever

I don’t want to get married until I’m fully in my career and stable myself. So I would say next 6/7 years is when I would want to potentially build a family and be a wife.

He doesn’t seem financially stable and wants more for himself. He obviously needs a higher salary to have a family etc and do more in life than living from pay check to pay check. And absolutely not want I want in a husband. If we was to get married I wouldn’t marry him until he’s stable and on a higher salary. Money is a big deal and does lead to divorces. Am I wrong for feeling like this.

Also, with this mentality that I have is it ok to stay in the relationship right now because I’m not wanting to get married anytime soon? Or is this something I should seriously think bout before it gets too late. Obviously if he’s in the same position 7 years down the line and it’s not want I want I’ve wasted my time haven’t I

I think give him a chance. Maybe he says he is broke to see if you will love him for the money or for him. I’ve got £100k in the bank and i call myself broke and pretend to be broke (bo car or expensive possessions). It’s a great way to weed out the ‘users’ and shallow people who are with people for the wrong reasons.
If he’s goodlooking then yes, you can make more money, you can’t get a better face
I'm not going to get married or share accomodation with any other adult but I wouldn't waste my time with a whiny or spineless guy.
Nor consider dating someone who always highlights that he is living paycheck to paycheck and frequently self-pityingly describes himself to other people as "a broke guy".

I do have a few financial dealbreakers & am attracted to guys with ambition, a positive mindset, intelligence, a strong work ethic and guts.

What pathetic nonsense is this? What idiot pays for a Mercedes on a monthly basis and then complains "I'm broke!" to his partner? And he's 36? Has he not figured out how to budget and save? Or is he just saying he's broke because he's spending money on another woman? 🤔

I suggest you dump him asap. Even if he is not cheating on you, he sounds very financially immature for a 36 year old. Not something you want in a husband.
I’m presuming this is the chap from a recent thread paying £7k a year for the Merc and then asking his GF to treat him.

If so, I think everything that needed saying was said in that thread.
Yes I understand that but because it’s not something I want to do Atleast for 7 years. His income can legit change overnight right. So would I throw things away now for something that could change anytime?

There's a saying that goes something like this "your best predictor of future behavior is past behavior or past performance in a similar situation" To put this into your situation context, Was he always struggling financially? or Just recently with new bills etc. Is he actively working on improving his situation financially looking for different jobs, sources of income, etc?
Sometimes you have to make decisions based on what you know right now.
Usually, things don’t change overnight that's what social media portrays people work harder than they would like to admit. Most success isn’t an overnight thing except in extreme luck situations.

Bottom line is choose what you see right now intentionally don’t choose people based on potential without any evidence for that potential.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending