The Student Room Group

I can't choose between two Uni offers as one has a flying start course advantage

I've applied to Accounting/Finance and have received back all my offers, and am stuck between York and Nottingham. I was pretty set on firming Nottingham, but I recently attended my first York open day and I liked it a lot more than I expected. However, for Nottingham I have recevied an offer for the Flying Start program with PWC (a top 4 accounting firm) after a very lengthy assesement process, and would feel guilty giving that up. I applied for a year in industry course for York, but will this be as good as the flying start program I would do in Nottingham? (unlike a year in industry, the PWC work placement is split into terms over the course of 4 years, and you may get a job offer at PWC after graduation).
I'm very stuck on what I should do, as from what I've seen York appeals to me a lot more (the campus is amazing, the town is more peaceful. One of Nottingham's biggest pros that people mention is its nightlife, but I'm not much of a clubbing person so this doesn't encourage me at all). I'm going back to Nottingham for one more look around in a few days, so maybe I'll like it more again once I see it in more detail?
I really don't want to give up my placement I worked so hard to get into, but I also don't want to regret not going to York. Has anyone been in a similar situation?
Original post by Pinkarmadillo
I've applied to Accounting/Finance and have received back all my offers, and am stuck between York and Nottingham. I was pretty set on firming Nottingham, but I recently attended my first York open day and I liked it a lot more than I expected. However, for Nottingham I have recevied an offer for the Flying Start program with PWC (a top 4 accounting firm) after a very lengthy assesement process, and would feel guilty giving that up. I applied for a year in industry course for York, but will this be as good as the flying start program I would do in Nottingham? (unlike a year in industry, the PWC work placement is split into terms over the course of 4 years, and you may get a job offer at PWC after graduation).
I'm very stuck on what I should do, as from what I've seen York appeals to me a lot more (the campus is amazing, the town is more peaceful. One of Nottingham's biggest pros that people mention is its nightlife, but I'm not much of a clubbing person so this doesn't encourage me at all). I'm going back to Nottingham for one more look around in a few days, so maybe I'll like it more again once I see it in more detail?
I really don't want to give up my placement I worked so hard to get into, but I also don't want to regret not going to York. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Did you not like Nottingham at all? I believe that the PWC route is a more secure one (also you have put in a lot of hardwork to get it).
Original post by Pinkarmadillo

Honestly the placement with PWC is probably going to be very valuable in getting you your first grad scheme job (supposing they don't offer you one themselves), so something I wouldn't suggest skipping out on lightly. Remember that for the other course with the placement year, it is up to you to get the placement for that year - you would effectively have to do all the stuff you've already done again to secure a placement (which may not be as good potentially).

Nottingham is a nice city I gather from a friend who lives there (at least parts of it anyway!), and there will undoubtedly be plenty to do outside of clubbing there. Really, unless you have some very serious issue that would prevent you from doing well in or completing the course at Nottingham (having caring responsibilities for family closer to York - assuming they live near there, PTSD due to some past experience which is not able to be managed, or something similar) I feel it would be difficult to justify going elsewhere really.
As above. Nottingham because of the scheme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending