The Student Room Group

College ID as proof of age?

Wondering if I'd be able to use my college ID card as proof of age for buying alcohol in, say, a supermarket? It has my date of birth, my name and photo on it.
Tempted to just try and if it's turned down there's nothing really lost, the fact it has my date of birth (I'm 19) makes me hopeful that it could be used.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JAG708
Wondering if I'd be able to use my college ID card as proof of age for buying alcohol in, say, a supermarket? It has my date of birth, my name and photo on it.
Tempted to just try and if it's turned down there's nothing really lost, the fact it has my date of birth (I'm 19) makes me hopeful that it could be used.

It will depend on the policies of the places you're shopping in. Supermarket A might have different policies to supermarket B. And smaller independent retailers might have their own policies. Realistically everywhere will accept things like passports and driving licences. I understand that even national schemes like "PASS" are not universally accepted, so it's likely that your college ID card will probably not be widely accepted.

Have you considered applying for a provisional driving licence?
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
It will depend on the policies of the places you're shopping in. Supermarket A might have different policies to supermarket B. And smaller independent retailers might have their own policies. Realistically everywhere will accept things like passports and driving licences. I understand that even national schemes like "PASS" are not universally accepted, so it's likely that your college ID card will probably not be widely accepted.

Have you considered applying for a provisional driving licence?

Fair enough that makes sense, I looked at the policies for ASDA and it says they accept "other photo ID cards that also include your date of birth" (other than the mains forms), so I guess it's worth a try even though it's not a guarantee like a passport or driver's licence.

I have, I will try to get a provisional license though don't have any immediate plans, but at some point yeah I'd like to.
It just depends really, but college IDs tend to be a bit hit or miss compared to others, even uni ones.

If I remember right the member of staff is ultimately accountable for serving you so it's really up to them what they accept rather than the store policy.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
It just depends really, but college IDs tend to be a bit hit or miss compared to others, even uni ones.

If I remember right the member of staff is ultimately accountable for serving you so it's really up to them what they accept rather than the store policy.

Alright, it is an access to uni course that I do at the uni centre of the college (so it has the uni centre logo on) so maybe that makes it just slightly better idk, all I can do is try and if it isn't accepted I won't be too bothered, going to try and get a provisional license for this kinda thing soon.
(edited 1 year ago)
It might not be widely accepted.
But if it has your photo and date of birth on its worth a try.

True, but OP can still try and hopefully he still gets the alcohol

Original post by JAG708
Alright, it is an access to uni course that I do at the uni centre of the college (so it has the uni centre logo on) so maybe that makes it just slightly better idk, all I can do is try and if it isn't accepted I won't be too bothered, going to try and get a provisional license for this kinda thing soon.

Try different supermarkets. Eventually one will accept it

From what I can see, the store management could also be fined; and there's also a risk that the store could lose its licence to sell alcohol (in the case of repeated sales to people who are under age).

While the member of staff can be hit by an unlimited fine for selling alcohol, they also need to be aware that breaching their employer's policy could also result in them losing their job.
Original post by martin7
From what I can see, the store management could also be fined; and there's also a risk that the store could lose its licence to sell alcohol (in the case of repeated sales to people who are under age).

While the member of staff can be hit by an unlimited fine for selling alcohol, they also need to be aware that breaching their employer's policy could also result in them losing their job.

Well yea but that more relates to fake ID and under age sales and their consequences I'm just referring to the fact that the cashier can refuse IDs and is more likely to do so with unfamiliar ones.
Reply 9
Original post by Emma:-)
It might not be widely accepted.
But if it has your photo and date of birth on its worth a try.

Yeah that's what I figured, worth a shot
Reply 10
Original post by justlearning1469
True, but OP can still try and hopefully he still gets the alcohol

Try different supermarkets. Eventually one will accept it

That's what I thought yeah, if the first one doesn't I'll try another and maybe another if I don't feel like giving up by then haha
Reply 11
Well yea but that more relates to fake ID and under age sales and their consequences I'm just referring to the fact that the cashier can refuse IDs and is more likely to do so with unfamiliar ones.

Yeah I'm kinda assuming that this isn't illegal like with a fake ID, just more unlikely to be accepted.
Original post by JAG708
Yeah I'm kinda assuming that this isn't illegal like with a fake ID, just more unlikely to be accepted.

No, not illegal at all.

If you are using it in the same city/town it was issued, there's mibbie more chance someone will accept it as they will have seen loads.
Reply 13
No, not illegal at all.

If you are using it in the same city/town it was issued, there's mibbie more chance someone will accept it as they will have seen loads.

Ah yeah didn't think it was illegal, wouldn't be considering trying if it was haha. Probably not tbh as the college is a bit of a distance from where I live unfortunately.
Original post by JAG708
That's what I thought yeah, if the first one doesn't I'll try another and maybe another if I don't feel like giving up by then haha

Can't give up. If you really want the alcohol, you won't give up on it

P.S. not illegal
Reply 15
Can't give up. If you really want the alcohol, you won't give up on it

P.S. not illegal

Haha good point
Original post by JAG708
Haha good point

That's the bottom line, friend. You will get the alcohol, even if dozens of supermarkets reject you. It's a numbers' game.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JAG708

I was 17 for entire firstyear and regularly used a fake ID so you should be absolutely fine
Original post by Zürich
I was 17 for entire firstyear and regularly used a fake ID so you should be absolutely fine

Although some people may be strict on ID people who llook under 21 or 25. In those cases you need to look at least 21/25 to avoid being ID
Reply 19
That's the bottom line, friend. You will get the alcohol, even if dozens of supermarkets reject you. It's a numbers' game.

Yeah hope so, feel kinda confident I'll get it in the end, haven't tried yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending