The Student Room Group

Psychology extracurriculars

What are some good extracurriculars for applying for a psychology degree and do you know where i can look for some good webinars ?
Hi @Nadi09!

I'm currently a 3rd year Psychology student, so I thought I'd give you some information on what extracurricular things I've found useful. I'm currently subscribed to the British Psychological Association's free weekly newsletter - Research Digest - which provides summaries of the latest psychological research, and provides you with lots of great resources. In terms of webinars and talks, I also look on Eventbrite, and filter it so that the free options come up - and these are often online events that take place, which you can join via a link they send you - and I've found these to be quite helpful too!

I hope this is helpful!
~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Nadi09!

I'm currently a 3rd year Psychology student, so I thought I'd give you some information on what extracurricular things I've found useful. I'm currently subscribed to the British Psychological Association's free weekly newsletter - Research Digest - which provides summaries of the latest psychological research, and provides you with lots of great resources. In terms of webinars and talks, I also look on Eventbrite, and filter it so that the free options come up - and these are often online events that take place, which you can join via a link they send you - and I've found these to be quite helpful too!

I hope this is helpful!

Wow this is super helpful thank you! When it comes to choosing a uni, what particular things do you reckon I should look out for(in terms of the actual degree)
Original post by Nadi09
Wow this is super helpful thank you! When it comes to choosing a uni, what particular things do you reckon I should look out for(in terms of the actual degree)

Hi @Nadi09!

Sorry for the delay in my reply!

In terms of the degree, one thing that was important to me when I was looking was that it was accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS). The accreditation is recognised by employers, as well as indicating that the degree you have done has met the high standard of the BPS. In addition, it is a necessary accreditation that you need if you are looking to become a Chartered Psychologist!

Another important thing is the modules that are offered. If a degree is accredited by the BPS, there are particular things that have to be taught to you, regardless of which university you pick. But it was important to me to have a choice of modules, at least in one of the years, just because I wanted the chance to learn about things that I was particularly interested in, and to look into new applications of psychology that I hadn't thought of before. So for example, here at Lancaster, in the first two years, we study the core modules that you would ordinarly think of when you think of Psychology, like social, cognitive, developmental, etc., which are all super interesting! And in these first two years, you cover the necessary content for the BPS accreditation (this may not be the same in all universities with BPS accredited Psychology courses, i.e., some may spread the required content through all three years), so in third year, we get to pick 5 modules from a whole range, and these include things like Clinical Psychology, and Psychology of Art (which I didn't even know was a thing!). The available modules do change each year, depending on which staff members are available, but there's always lots to choose from!

These are the main things I could think of, but please let me know if you think of any more questions!

Quick Reply

Latest