The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do

I am thinking of dropping out from law school. I am in first year and l was looking for other degrees. I enjoy art but looking at all the degrees which l may be interested l thought that l could learn them alone by myself e.g graphic design, business and marketing and any languages. I am not sure…
I am considering apprenticeship but l heard it’s rare to find good ones
Original post by Littlememe
I am thinking of dropping out from law school. I am in first year and l was looking for other degrees. I enjoy art but looking at all the degrees which l may be interested l thought that l could learn them alone by myself e.g graphic design, business and marketing and any languages. I am not sure…
I am considering apprenticeship but l heard it’s rare to find good ones

I have two questions:

1. What was the original appeal of doing a law degree?
2. Why are you thinking of dropping out and changing course?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
I have two questions:

1. What was the original appeal of doing a law degree?
2. Why are you thinking of dropping out and changing course?

Hi,

I am not enjoying it as much and l can bring myself to study for the exams. I am not sure if l am lazy or something. For the future l don’t want to be a lawyer or anything related to the legal field.
Hi,

I am not enjoying it as much and l can bring myself to study for the exams. I am not sure if l am lazy or something. For the future l don’t want to be a lawyer or anything related to the legal field.

If you "don’t want to be a lawyer or anything related to the legal field", then a law degree was an odd choice. :confused: Perhaps that's the reason you lack motivation to study for the exams?

Anyway, in you first post you mentioned some things you were interested in ("graphic design, business and marketing and any languages"), but dismissed them on the grounds that you "could learn them alone by myself". Isn't that also true of law (and the vast majority of degree subjects)?

If you went down the apprenticeship route (and ignored the fact that you "heard it’s rare to find good ones"), then what sort of apprenticeship would interest you? Have you had a search through https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/ to see what sort of things might be available?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
If you "don’t want to be a lawyer or anything related to the legal field", then a law degree was an odd choice. :confused: Perhaps that's the reason you lack motivation to study for the exams?

Anyway, in you first post you mentioned some things you were interested in ("graphic design, business and marketing and any languages"), but dismissed them on the grounds that you "could learn them alone by myself". Isn't that also true of law (and the vast majority of degree subjects)?

If you went down the apprenticeship route (and ignored the fact that you "heard it’s rare to find good ones"), then what sort of apprenticeship would interest you? Have you had a search through https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/ to see what sort of things might be available?

Honestly l am a very sensitive person. I spoke with my dad and he said he doesn’t like apprenticeships. So l won’t be doing them.

I am not sure but l am still a bit interested in law. Even if may not do anything related to it as a career which at first l wanted to but then l am doubtful of whether l will enjoy the career.

I searched up some of the courses l mentioned above and their course structure and sort of feel like l might end up being more dissatisfied with the later subjects.

I am behind on a lot of revision of law since l haven’t revised in 2 weeks by now and l have seen a bit of a content for a module and compared to before l started not to mind studying it.

I found criminology and sociology undergraduate degree but l don’t want to come to a point where l sit down to study and don’t want to do it.

I feel like graphic design is more for me but l am not sure
Honestly l am a very sensitive person. I spoke with my dad and he said he doesn’t like apprenticeships. So l won’t be doing them.

I am not sure but l am still a bit interested in law. Even if may not do anything related to it as a career which at first l wanted to but then l am doubtful of whether l will enjoy the career.

I searched up some of the courses l mentioned above and their course structure and sort of feel like l might end up being more dissatisfied with the later subjects.

I am behind on a lot of revision of law since l haven’t revised in 2 weeks by now and l have seen a bit of a content for a module and compared to before l started not to mind studying it.

I found criminology and sociology undergraduate degree but l don’t want to come to a point where l sit down to study and don’t want to do it.

I feel like graphic design is more for me but l am not sure

Could it be that you're trying to steer clear of degrees which are assessed primarily via exams (law, criminology, sociology) in favour of those which aren't (e.g. graphic design)?
Reply 6
Possibly. I am not sure. I liked criminology and sociology but since l did sociology at a level and know how it is l am scared that l will be in a position like l am for law rn.
What uni you going for law?
Reply 8
Original post by toxicgamage56
What uni you going for law?

Soas

I think it's important to not let your parents influence your decisions about your life. I know it's easier said than done, but it is YOUR life, not theirs so you'll be the one who's gonna have to deal with whatever degree/apprenticeship and eventual career you decide to do. They need to learn to support your decisions.

If you can't see yourself doing a law/related career, then law is probably not the right degree for you. Try think about what subjects you enjoy and what kind of career you want to do in the future to help you research different careers that might suit you.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but there's not gonna be a single degree where you're going to sit down and actively want to study. No one likes revising. No one wants to deal with assessments. They're stressful. I'm acc currently procrastinating revision for a subject I actually enjoy lol.

But you should definitely do some reflection to identify what you want out of life.
Original post by kaorimiyazono
I think it's important to not let your parents influence your decisions about your life. I know it's easier said than done, but it is YOUR life, not theirs so you'll be the one who's gonna have to deal with whatever degree/apprenticeship and eventual career you decide to do. They need to learn to support your decisions.

If you can't see yourself doing a law/related career, then law is probably not the right degree for you. Try think about what subjects you enjoy and what kind of career you want to do in the future to help you research different careers that might suit you.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but there's not gonna be a single degree where you're going to sit down and actively want to study. No one likes revising. No one wants to deal with assessments. They're stressful. I'm acc currently procrastinating revision for a subject I actually enjoy lol.

But you should definitely do some reflection to identify what you want out of life.

Thank you!! Can l ask you what you are studying? 😊
Thank you!! Can l ask you what you are studying? 😊

Np!! I'm studying biochemistry. I genuinely find it really interesting and I'm enjoying most of the course. But I do struggle with getting myself to revise - even when it comes to my favourite topics lol.

I wish you good luck with everything 😊
Original post by kaorimiyazono
Np!! I'm studying biochemistry. I genuinely find it really interesting and I'm enjoying most of the course. But I do struggle with getting myself to revise - even when it comes to my favourite topics lol.

I wish you good luck with everything 😊

it’s good you are enjoying it. U can try to plan ur to do list by what is realistically possible and what you can do even if it’s the smallest step. Overtime by completing the smallest tasks u will be motivated to do more and actually do more.

I have attached a SMART goals template to help anyone with this issues may be it will work for you.

Thank u!! And good luck with everything too ❤️
(edited 1 year ago)
it’s good you are enjoying it. U can try to plan ur to do list by what is realistically possible and what you can do even if it’s the smallest step. Overtime by complying the smallest tasks u will be motivated to do more and actually do more.

I have attached a SMART goals template to help anyone with this issues may be it will work for you.

Thank u!! And good luck with everything too ❤️

Thank youuu!! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending