The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

How to Choose your Degree Course

Choosing what you would like to study at university can be a very difficult and confusing process. For some, it is one of the biggest decisions to be made in life so far. Here are some things to think about if you can’t seem to make a decision:

1. Make sure to choose a subject you enjoy. Whether a subject you enjoyed at A Level, or even an extra-curricular course you completed in your own time, choosing something that you have a genuine interest in can make the degree that bit more enjoyable and can also allow you to get the most out of it.

2. Think about your career goals and the qualification you might need to secure your dream job. If your dream is to work in a specific field such as engineering or medicine, check to see if that job requires for you to have a certain degree or qualification, this might help to steer you in the right direction of what course you need to do and that can help to make your choice that little bit easier.

3. Have a good think about what you would personally like to get out of the degree. Question if you would like to gain experience through a year in industry, progress your language skills by taking part in a year or semester abroad, or even just engage in unique extra-curricular activities. Thinking about these elements can help to narrow down your choices, as not all degree schemes offer the same as others.

Open Days at Swansea University
If you still can’t make your choice, or just want that little bit more confidence in your decision, visiting one of our on-campus Open Days at Swansea University can be a really great way to explore these options and understand what you would really like to study. You can visit subject talks, have a tour around the campus and talk to lecturers at our information fayres to really understand what it is the subject has to offer.

Visiting an Open Day was invaluable for me as not only did it confirm what I wanted to study, but it also filled me with confidence that the campus I would be learning on was the right learning environment for me.

You can book a place at our next Open Day here.

Megan - Student Ambassador - 2nd Year Politics and International Relations Student.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest