The Student Room Group

I’m feeling the anxiety about my driving

Right now I’m taking fortnightly lessons in an area quite far from me in order to prepare for my driving test in late June. I had a lesson yesterday and I just felt like I was making a lot of mistakes, things that I have never done before.

So basically before yesterday I hadn’t had a lesson in 3 weeks roughly due to me being busy on placement. This also means it’s difficult to get private practice in as well with my mum as most of the time one of us at least is busy. I will admit obviously lack of practice in a few weeks won’t have helped but it’s not as though I’m forgetting how to drive, I’m just a bit more rusty here and there.

The area has a lot of narrow roads and what I was doing was I was touching the curbs quite a lot whilst turning corners and stuff. I’ve actually never done this before yet I done it a few times yesterday. My manouveres were a little better though I have to say, so I’m happy about that.

Can anyone please give any guidance? Other than obviously practice more which I will do because my placement ends next week therefore I will have so much more time. I just think I’m also feeling the pressure and nerves so much more now considering it’s only a couple of months away. This is the one thing that’s giving me anxiety constantly because I’m scared to let myself down.
Reply 1
Original post by Newtothis_24
Right now I’m taking fortnightly lessons in an area quite far from me in order to prepare for my driving test in late June. I had a lesson yesterday and I just felt like I was making a lot of mistakes, things that I have never done before.

So basically before yesterday I hadn’t had a lesson in 3 weeks roughly due to me being busy on placement. This also means it’s difficult to get private practice in as well with my mum as most of the time one of us at least is busy. I will admit obviously lack of practice in a few weeks won’t have helped but it’s not as though I’m forgetting how to drive, I’m just a bit more rusty here and there.

The area has a lot of narrow roads and what I was doing was I was touching the curbs quite a lot whilst turning corners and stuff. I’ve actually never done this before yet I done it a few times yesterday. My manouveres were a little better though I have to say, so I’m happy about that.

Can anyone please give any guidance? Other than obviously practice more which I will do because my placement ends next week therefore I will have so much more time. I just think I’m also feeling the pressure and nerves so much more now considering it’s only a couple of months away. This is the one thing that’s giving me anxiety constantly because I’m scared to let myself down.

Sorry to sound corny or cliche but just have faith in your ability. Ensure your 100% focused, but that doesn't mean be tense, just relax. More relax you are, more confident you'll drive. Late June is still a while a way even if you're taking fortnightly lessons, plenty of time for you brush up and be test ready. Going into your test with nerves is the worst thing you can do. Of course you'll be scared to let yourself down, driving is no easy feat, and you need to showcase everything you learnt in 40 minutes or so, and those 40 minutes fly by. At the end of the day, you just have to show your examiner you're a safe driver and you know the rules of the road. If you can't do that, your instructor wouldn't let you take the test in the first place. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Remember come test day it’s all pot luck on who your examiner is. No matter how many people say “it all comes down to if you drive well” it’s all lies.

i have known some of my young pretty female friends who have made major faults and still passed and some of my other friends be failed for much less.

one of my friends rammed a curb, forgot to put her seatbelt on and still passed

another bad the examiner intervene to stop a accident but still passed

another failed their manoeuvre but still passed.

while some of my male friends have been failed for much smaller minors and only 1-2 over 16.

so just pray you get a Pervy old guy as your examiner and you’ll be fine.

i passéd first time with a female examiner yet I messed up my emergency stop of all things 😂

Mate your in April you still have nearly or just under 8 weeks to go that’s plenty of time to correct your manoeuvres learning your test routes and addressing your areas of concern within driving. We aren’t as perfect as humans if it ain’t meant to be the first time around it’s not to be 50% of UK drivers pass after their first attempt. If you drive perfect or you know you’ll be flawless you’ll pass with confidence otherwise practice, watching tutorials and videos and address your weaknesses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending