The Student Room Group

Need help getting out of a dead end job

My situation is a follows;
I’m 24, did not attend uni because I ended up really hating my subject by the end of A Levels (Physics). At the moment I’m working full time in a little cafe but I’m REALLY wanting to get out.

I would like to get into a computing job, something like back-end software developing or anything along those lines. My main problem is that I live with my gf and I have to pay rent, so uni is not really an option for me. I’ve been doing a bit of studying after work to teach myself python but I’m always so exhausted after work and I really struggle to find the time.

What options do I have?
Original post by Ori_UK
I’m 24, did not attend uni because I ended up really hating my subject by the end of A Levels (Physics). At the moment I’m working full time in a little cafe but I’m REALLY wanting to get out.

I would like to get into a computing job, something like back-end software developing or anything along those lines. My main problem is that I live with my gf and I have to pay rent, so uni is not really an option for me. I’ve been doing a bit of studying after work to teach myself python but I’m always so exhausted after work and I really struggle to find the time.

What options do I have?

Toughen up so you can work harder, then do a qual through theOpen University or evening classes etc to get a useful qualification.

If you REALLY want to get out you have to do more than 'want', you have to plan and put the work in.
Degree apprenticeship is probably the obvious option, and probably the best one for preparing to work in the computing sector anyway.

Also if you are over 25 when you are applying for SFE funding for a degree, they will base their calculations on your household income, not your parents' - and if you've left your job, and you aren't married, normally this would mean you would be entitled to the maximum maintenance loan. Which you could certainly use to contribute towards rent while living with your girlfriend. So a "traditional" degree may also be an option still.
Original post by Ori_UK

What options do I have?

Level 4 software engineering apprenticeships or software engineering degree apprenticeships.
They pay from 19k-23k whilst you get a fully funded degree.
I am aware that amazon was giving out 31k for their software devlopment degree apprenticeship last year. You may have to relocate for those if they arent in your locality but keep in mind to get into a degree apprenticeship u need to display your passion,commitment and ambitions properly.
Theyre also mildly competitive to get in.

If you dont want to move out of your locality (worse case scenario assuming theres no degree apprenticeship in ur area) then try look into the data analyst route. I have seen about 4 apprenticeship within that field that offers fully remote/ 4days home 1 day work apprenticeships however its only at a level 4 qualification level.
Original post by Master roshi1
Level 4 software engineering apprenticeships or software engineering degree apprenticeships.
They pay from 19k-23k whilst you get a fully funded degree.
I am aware that amazon was giving out 31k for their software devlopment degree apprenticeship last year. You may have to relocate for those if they arent in your locality but keep in mind to get into a degree apprenticeship u need to display your passion,commitment and ambitions properly.
Theyre also mildly competitive to get in.

If you dont want to move out of your locality (worse case scenario assuming theres no degree apprenticeship in ur area) then try look into the data analyst route. I have seen about 4 apprenticeship within that field that offers fully remote/ 4days home 1 day work apprenticeships however its only at a level 4 qualification level.

Also level 4 apprenticeships tend to pay more than degree apprenticeships, ranges from 21k-27k
Since you can't attend a brick university because of money, you could study with the Open University (part-time, if you're too tired after work... and I get that, I've been there!!!).
I studied one year with the Open University before transferring to my current brick university, but I miss it so much and I cry all the time when I think about this massive mistake I made.
The Open University is very good... you can try to study Computing & IT (I actually studied Python in my first year at the OU).

Also, why doesn't your gf contributre to the rent?
I wouldn't really live with someone that doesn't work and contribute, unless they can't work due to disability or illnesses...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending