The Student Room Group

Why are university lecturers so dumb?

Ok might be a harsh word but....

WHY do they give you feedback saying "very good", "excellent work", "extremely well constructed", "very credible", "perfect referencing", etc. and give you ABSOLUTELY ZERO 'things to improve' then give you 41/100?????????????????

Is it just my lecturers??? I don't understand. Obviously no one's perfect but why have I just scraped a pass with apparently no faults in my work???? It was just a presentation so I don't really need to appeal or anything but I'm in first year and I'm a bit worried about how I'm going to be marked in future?

Some of my lecturers are okay. They'll give me a 90 and tell me where to improve and its helpful, and across those modules my grade average is a 85-90. But in the majority of my modules I have these stupid? weird? idk? lecturers that say 'oh yes perfect work' then give you a bad grade (Ik 41 isn't bad but it is when they're saying there's no faults with my work)

I probably sound salty/petty/bitter/whatever, but I am. This is stupid. The grades are bringing my overall grade down so much when it's not making sense. I'm a kinda smart girl, I've worked hard in education my whole life. Primary, secondary, sixth form - constant high marks. I know when you go to uni it changes because everyone's really smart but I'm not doing an academic course and my whole class fail assignments. I'm the only one who passes. But getting these low grades then having to tell my parents it just feels kinda embarassing tbh. And I just sound petty if I say 'I should have got a higher mark they're marking me wrong' idk...

Should I change unis hahahahahahh
Original post by fudgeyx
Ok might be a harsh word but....

WHY do they give you feedback saying "very good", "excellent work", "extremely well constructed", "very credible", "perfect referencing", etc. and give you ABSOLUTELY ZERO 'things to improve' then give you 41/100?????????????????

Is it just my lecturers??? I don't understand. Obviously no one's perfect but why have I just scraped a pass with apparently no faults in my work???? It was just a presentation so I don't really need to appeal or anything but I'm in first year and I'm a bit worried about how I'm going to be marked in future?

Some of my lecturers are okay. They'll give me a 90 and tell me where to improve and its helpful, and across those modules my grade average is a 85-90. But in the majority of my modules I have these stupid? weird? idk? lecturers that say 'oh yes perfect work' then give you a bad grade (Ik 41 isn't bad but it is when they're saying there's no faults with my work)

I probably sound salty/petty/bitter/whatever, but I am. This is stupid. The grades are bringing my overall grade down so much when it's not making sense. I'm a kinda smart girl, I've worked hard in education my whole life. Primary, secondary, sixth form - constant high marks. I know when you go to uni it changes because everyone's really smart but I'm not doing an academic course and my whole class fail assignments. I'm the only one who passes. But getting these low grades then having to tell my parents it just feels kinda embarassing tbh. And I just sound petty if I say 'I should have got a higher mark they're marking me wrong' idk...

Should I change unis hahahahahahh

You are not alone. It's very common, when looking at the results from the National Students Survey, to see the lowest score for "Feedback on work has been helpful".

Have you approach any of the lecturers and specifically asked for advice as to how to improve your marks? If not, then you should.
Reply 2
Everyone says this is common but I've never really seen it. Maybe I'm just lucky with where I've worked or whatever. I'd be going to office hours, personally. And I'd also raise the incongruence a) with student reps and b) with whichever staff member is relevant to your year's SSLC.

41 is a poor grade and it certainly does not match the feedback. I think you're right to be annoyed.

As an addendum, I'd certainly take the NSS with a large pinch of salt. There's lots of data on how these criteria do not often reflect reality and how fickle student responses are.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
You are not alone. It's very common, when looking at the results from the National Students Survey, to see the lowest score for "Feedback on work has been helpful".

Have you approach any of the lecturers and specifically asked for advice as to how to improve your marks? If not, then you should.

I'm a bit scared to honestly haha, I feel like they'd want to communicate it all over email anyway. Only see each lecturer once a week it's very poor..
First year is also finished for me as well. They made all our assignments due just before we finished so we get our grades back from now to end of May ish, so can't even really do much now. Plus there's no point because it's so late.

Next year if it's still as bad I might email to 'ask for feedback' because I have too big of an ego to get 40s oops
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
Everyone says this is common but I've never really seen it. Maybe I'm just lucky with where I've worked or whatever. I'd be going to office hours, personally. And I'd also raise the incongruence a) with student reps and b) with whichever staff member is relevant to your year's SSLC.

41 is a poor grade and it certainly does not match the feedback. I think you're right to be annoyed.

As an addendum, I'd certainly take the NSS with a large pinch of salt. There's lots of data on how these criteria do not often reflect reality and how fickle student responses are.

My uni's kinda bad (or just unclear) on who to talk to about assessment issues tbh, I don't think we have any sort of student reps or staff that can help. I wish we had like an academic team that we can just talk to about our grades because every time I get these low grades I have to rant about it lol.

Even if I got a 70, that's obviously a very good grade but 30 marks is still quite a lot to lose when my work is 'perfect'. According to the feedback it should be a 100; 20 marks is even a decent amount off. I know I sound extremely petty but I'm used to my 85+s :biggrin:

Sometimes I feel like my teachers just don't want to give me high grades all the time for some reason even if I deserve it. But then they are too generous with other people..... I've read some of my friends' work and they don't care about their grades as much as I do so they don't even write relevant stuff or go so far below the word count etc. yet they can still get 50-60s.

Oh idk I should just sleep
Reply 5
Original post by fudgeyx
My uni's kinda bad (or just unclear) on who to talk to about assessment issues tbh, I don't think we have any sort of student reps or staff that can help. I wish we had like an academic team that we can just talk to about our grades because every time I get these low grades I have to rant about it lol.

Even if I got a 70, that's obviously a very good grade but 30 marks is still quite a lot to lose when my work is 'perfect'. According to the feedback it should be a 100; 20 marks is even a decent amount off. I know I sound extremely petty but I'm used to my 85+s :biggrin:

Sometimes I feel like my teachers just don't want to give me high grades all the time for some reason even if I deserve it. But then they are too generous with other people..... I've read some of my friends' work and they don't care about their grades as much as I do so they don't even write relevant stuff or go so far below the word count etc. yet they can still get 50-60s.

Oh idk I should just sleep

No, you're not being petty! The feedback just does not sit right with the mark awarded - you're totally right.

Basically your options are the unit leader or teaching staff in their office hour, the marker themselves (you should have been made aware of who that is, if it is different from the unit leader or teaching staff), or possibly your academic advisor (do you know who that is?).

This stuff should all have been made clear to you, but some places are very bad at doing that.

It'd be weird for you not to have student reps for the course, and there should also be a Staff-Student Liaison Committee to air communal/collective grievances in a transparent way. The Programme Director or Head of Dept would know about this, but I know it's a faff asking them and waiting for them to respond.
Something's not right here clearly. I'm guessing that the mark will probably be what the marker intended but, being kind here to the marker, there has possibly been an admin error with the grade descriptors. In any case, the marking isn't consistent and you would be well within your rights to go back to the marker to ask for clarification. Of course, it may not lead to your mark changing but you should get better feedback.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
No, you're not being petty! The feedback just does not sit right with the mark awarded - you're totally right.

Basically your options are the unit leader or teaching staff in their office hour, the marker themselves (you should have been made aware of who that is, if it is different from the unit leader or teaching staff), or possibly your academic advisor (do you know who that is?).

This stuff should all have been made clear to you, but some places are very bad at doing that.

It'd be weird for you not to have student reps for the course, and there should also be a Staff-Student Liaison Committee to air communal/collective grievances in a transparent way. The Programme Director or Head of Dept would know about this, but I know it's a faff asking them and waiting for them to respond.

Original post by cheadle
Something's not right here clearly. I'm guessing that the mark will probably be what the marker intended but, being kind here to the marker, there has possibly been an admin error with the grade descriptors. In any case, the marking isn't consistent and you would be well within your rights to go back to the marker to ask for clarification. Of course, it may not lead to your mark changing but you should get better feedback.

Yeah it's difficult/pointless at this point because first year is finished.. I'd have to email my lecturer who marked it I think and I wouldn't know how to word it without sounding rude..."You have said nothing is wrong with my work but you gave me a low grade"...?

He has seemed like a nice teacher this year; I have super bad social anxiety and I talked to him about my nerves for the presentation, and he let me do it infront of just him. My other lecturers won't let me do this as it's apparently 'unfair' to other people. I've also been talking to him about my work throughout the year and he's been supportive and nice. When I was doing the presentation as well he said it was really good and didn't ask any questions as 'everything was perfect' (we had to do a Q&A session at the end - my friends all said they got so many questions and apparently he grilled them all and was harsh. Idk their grades but I'll be so annoyed if they got similar/higher grades.

I don't think it was an error because we had two assignments for the module and the first one it was a similar situation. Got *very* positive feedback with only 'minor revisions needed' and got a 60. Surely my scope of grades is gonna look weird- 85-90s and then a 40 and 60 for one module...
I agree it's a tricky situation but it's just not right and, really, something should be done about it.

You could let it go if this is the last time you work with this tutor - but if he will be marking you again next year or the year after, then the issue is likely to resurface, plus it will just stress you out knowing it could happen again.

Ordinarily, this is something that would be picked up when modules are moderated but I know in my uni 1st year work isn't moderated, so stuff like this could fly under the radar.

Is this this tutor new or possibly inexperienced?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending