The Student Room Group

How to go global - student exchange experience

Hello everyone,

I hope you are doing great!

It is surprising that not many students are aware of the wonderful opportunities that higher education provides. My explanation is that there are too many options to catch up with all of them. Therefore, I already published a comprehensive guide on how to make the most of your university experience. In this post, I would like to focus on one of the bravest and most beneficial ideas - the student exchange programme.

To put it simply, it is an opportunity available to full-time undergraduate students to spend a year studying abroad at one of the partner universities across the globe.

What is in it for you? Contact with a new culture and improvement of intercultural skills, enhancement of your studies, formal recognition on your degree award, development of new language knowledge. It all leads to unforgettable memories, higher academic achievement, personal growth, and an outstanding position in the labour market.

Doesn't it sound great? Because I sold it to myself and is going to Bilbao next year :biggrin:

Where can you go? It depends on your university. Particularly, each university may have different overseas partner universities. At De Montfort University, we can choose from 25 European, 10 American, 5 Canadian, and 9 Asian institutions. Some of them specify what courses they offer for an exchange year.

How does it work? The procedures might differ between universities. At De Montfort, applications are submitted in the second year, the deadline is usually in January, and the exchange takes place in the third year. It is an additional year, and thus accepted students are required to complete their final year upon returning from abroad.

How can you go? Do your research, before applying. Check the academic offer, competitiveness, and location of available partners. Then, take a look at the costs of living in your top choices. Once you make up your mind, you can submit your application. It mostly asks you to explain why you want to go and tailor the answer to yourself.

How can you prepare to be able to manage on your own? If your application is successful, you will receive comprehensive support in preparation for your student exchange journey, including pre-departure sessions. They cover further steps in order to obtain a formal acceptance from a partner university and a wide range of practicalities, including finances, arranging accommodation, booking flights, purchasing insurance, visa requirements, etc. If you struggle with anything, 1-1 appointments are also available.

It seems like a lot of money is needed. How can you pay for that? The tuition fee for a year abroad is only £650 for home and £750 for international students. Any loans, grants or scholarships you are entitled to are not affected by studying on exchange. This includes the Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan, and Maintenance Grants. There is also additional financial support, such as Travel Grant. Finally, all students going on an exchange receive Turing Scheme Funding. The amount of funding students are entitled to depends on the cost of living of their host country, but it ranges from £335 to £490 per month. You can read more here.

As you can see, it is not as scary as it may seem at the beginning. The university acknowledges that it is not only a great opportunity, but also a challenging undertaking. Therefore, you are provided with all the support you need (and I know that from my personal experience!)

I hope that was helpful and that you feel encouraged to go global :u: If you want to know more or listen to the stories of those who have already completed their journey, you should definitely check out the ‘Study on exchange’ page.

Before we all go, I have two questions for you. How do you feel about student exchange? If you could, where would you go?

If you want to ask me anything, do not hesitate :h:

Let’s go global!

Take care,

Julia

Quick Reply

Latest