The Student Room Group

Talkative or Listener

My colleagues are really friendly, however I just find them extremely chatty people. It does get me down a lot because they can never give anyone else a chance to speak...it‘s always them all the time.

They can never just listen and observe what other people on the team have to say.

I can‘t even express my opinion because they keep butting in all the time. It has made me feel depressed and that I‘ve failed in my job because I‘m kinda quiet.

Any advice?

I just want to know which is better... the Talkative or the Listener/Observer?
Original post by Anonymous
My colleagues are really friendly, however I just find them extremely chatty people. It does get me down a lot because they can never give anyone else a chance to speak...it‘s always them all the time.

They can never just listen and observe what other people on the team have to say.

I can‘t even express my opinion because they keep butting in all the time. It has made me feel depressed and that I‘ve failed in my job because I‘m kinda quiet.

Any advice?

I would say balancing is really vital. A person should also understand when to talk or listen, depending on the situation. But I'm more of a listener and observer. Always talking too much doesn't mean someone's intelligent. Rather, most of the time, they're proven to be inferior.
Original post by Meheraj
I would say balancing is really vital. A person should also understand when to talk or listen, depending on the situation. But I'm more of a listener and observer. Always talking too much doesn't mean someone's intelligent. Rather, most of the time, they're proven to be inferior.

Totally agree with you...I think balance is best. I‘m more of a listener and observer too

Thanks
Totally agree with you...I think balance is best. I‘m more of a listener and observer too

Thanks

:cute:

No worries! :smile:

Any advice?

Imo listener/observer is better since you're actually giving everyone an opportunity to share their ideas, which makes everyone feel involved and considered even if their idea isn't being executed.

I have friends who're like your colleagues and honestly it's very annoying and depressing I get ya. Feels like your ideas are useless and stuff. I try to deal with it in 2 separate ways depending on the situation. First is if I need to speak whatever's on my mind, I start off with "Okay so I know you're a bunch of smart people but hear me out, I'll explain my thoughts and would love to hear your inputs AFTER I'm done". Second is I just 😬, say a bunch of yeses and leave cause I'm not in the mood to deal with it.

Ftr I'm also a listener/observer but have learnt which conversations to make sure I'm heard in at this point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending