The Student Room Group

want to change my unicourse

I've got an offer from Manchester to study BA English Literature and Drama, but I'm not 100% sure I want to take the creative route even though I love it... And I'm not really sure about taking Drama. I really love Geography and I think I'd do a much better job at a more practical and academic subject but I'm not sure how I'd go about changing it. I dont really want to start out in September doing the wrong degree so I'd want to switch it before uni. But I'm also worried this will be the wrong decision ;/ how would I do that?
(edited 1 year ago)
Wait until August and if you are still unsure, then cancel any place you have, take a gap-year and do some calm thinking about what you actually do want to do - and why. Then reapply for another subject from September for 2024 entry.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Wait until August and if you are still unsure, then cancel any place you have, take a gap-year and do some calm thinking about what you actually do want to do - and why. Then reapply for another subject from September for 2024 entry.

Hi yes, the thing is I'm not keen on doing a gap year or going through clearing, so I'm wondering if theres any other way :/
Original post by s140805
I've got an offer from Manchester to study BA English Literature and Drama, but I'm not 100% sure I want to take the creative route even though I love it... And I'm not really sure about taking Drama. I really love Geography and I think I'd do a much better job at a more practical and academic subject but I'm not sure how I'd go about changing it. I dont really want to start out in September doing the wrong degree so I'd want to switch it before uni. But I'm also worried this will be the wrong decision ;/ how would I do that?

First of all - you still have some time to consider your options, you don't need to rush this. :nah:

A couple of questions from me:
First, is it just Manchester you are considering? Are there other university courses on the table at the moment?
Second, have you put any thought into possible career options for after uni?
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
First of all - you still have some time to consider your options, you don't need to rush this. :nah:

A couple of questions from me:
First, is it just Manchester you are considering? Are there other university courses on the table at the moment?
Second, have you put any thought into possible career options for after uni?

Hi thank you !

Yes I'm pretty set on going to Manchester and I don't really want to make any big changes.
I think with doing an English degree I'm very limited, and have no idea what I'd do with it! But I'm very interested in Ecology, conservation, climate science / environmental consultancy etc. Which a geography degree would be very useful for. But I mainly just want to love what I'm doing and want to do it for the rest of my life. :smile:
Original post by s140805
Hi thank you !

Yes I'm pretty set on going to Manchester and I don't really want to make any big changes.
I think with doing an English degree I'm very limited, and have no idea what I'd do with it! But I'm very interested in Ecology, conservation, climate science / environmental consultancy etc. Which a geography degree would be very useful for. But I mainly just want to love what I'm doing and want to do it for the rest of my life. :smile:

Okay, is there a particular reason you want to study at Manchester? Is it local for you?

I'm just trying to fully understand this here because normally my advice would be forget about which university you attend, choose a course you really want to do and then look for that course at different institutions and see which course appeals to you the most. Deciding on a uni and then thinking about which course is a sort of arse-backwards approach and one I would usually steer applicants away from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending