The Student Room Group

Deciding my firm and insurance

Hey, so I received an offer for psychology from a non rusell group uni and an offer from ucl for psychology with education.
I am not sure which to firm and which to put as insurance as ucl appeals to me as a uni but the other offer looks at psychology more broadly.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Original post by Selena17
Hey, so I received an offer for psychology from a non rusell group uni and an offer from ucl for psychology with education.
I am not sure which to firm and which to put as insurance as ucl appeals to me as a uni but the other offer looks at psychology more broadly.

First of all the Russell group is unimportant here, I would discount that from your considerations straight away.

One key difference witll be whether the other university is in London. It's a very different university experience if you go and study in a mega-city compared to (almost) anywhere else.

Third thing is, what is it you want to do with your psychology degree afterwards? :smile:
Reply 2
I'm still not 100% sure but so far I would love to be a psychology teacher in a secondary school or at a uni.
And the other offer is not in London so that is another reason why ucl appeals to me.
I'm still not 100% sure but so far I would love to be a psychology teacher in a secondary school or at a uni.
And the other offer is not in London so that is another reason why ucl appeals to me.

Okay - have you looked into the education side of the Psychology and Education course?

Am I right in thinking you wouldn't be learning about teaching itself, but on the processes and models of education in use over time in the UK and around the world? Our understanding of what learning is and different political approaches to schooling? (I did half of my degree in education, just making sure you know what you're signing yourself up for :wink:)
Is the UCL course accredited

UCL
Original post by Dnsnnssn

Many 'Psych and Ed' courses are not accredited by BPS - this is important for future career opportunities so check carefully. The UCL course is accredited but remember that any joint subject course will restrict the optional units you can take in either subject - and its not a teacher training course.

UCL is a no brainer as long as you can see yourself enjoying the education modules.
UCL is a no brainer as long as you can see yourself enjoying the education modules.

I wouldn't describe anyone's university choices as no-brainers :nope:
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
Okay - have you looked into the education side of the Psychology and Education course?

Am I right in thinking you wouldn't be learning about teaching itself, but on the processes and models of education in use over time in the UK and around the world? Our understanding of what learning is and different political approaches to schooling? (I did half of my degree in education, just making sure you know what you're signing yourself up for :wink:)

Yes you learn about process of education and like the role of education in society. Their is a lot about social development and differences between people in education.
Do you know what career paths lead on from psychology with education as I'm worried it will restrict the job opportunities I will have in the future compared to doing just psychology.
Also thank you so muchhhh
Reply 10

Yes it is by the BPS
Yes you learn about process of education and like the role of education in society. Their is a lot about social development and differences between people in education.
Do you know what career paths lead on from psychology with education as I'm worried it will restrict the job opportunities I will have in the future compared to doing just psychology.

What career options are you interested in doing (whether with a psych or a psych/ed degree)?
Reply 12
Possibly a teacher for psychology but I'm still not sure.
I would also be interested in a career in media or in politics as I really enjoy politics a level especially the topics about different organisations like the UN.
Kind of a mix of ideas thats why I'm worried that by just doing psych with education I'm limiting myself to choices😭
Yes it is by the BPS

Then go with UCL. They are top for psychology

Neither course are limiting when it comes to career opportunities.

Doing education studies doesn't necessarily advantage your suitability for teacher training courses (but it can be helpful for your own knowledge of the education system).

It sounds like you are quite open to a number of different career options here, and both courses would open you to a large range of career routes.

Can I ask what the offer grades are for each course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending