The Student Room Group

Student Finance just shafted me

So I was expecting to get my maintenance loan yesterday (April 24th), however I have to wait up to 10 more days to get it because of SF's own screw-up. (I'm desperate for this loan cause I'm going to the South of France with some friends for a couple of days in early May but that's now on the backburner.)

So what happened was, back in early December, apparently student finance tried to send me a letter via post, but it was then returned because of a Royal Mail strike that day. I was told that I would be prevented from getting any more loans until I "correct my address" (see attachment). The thing is- my address was the same one that I'd always used since starting uni, so I didn't have anything to "correct", but I still was blocked from receiving any payment, which I didn't find out till yesterday. I sorted it on the phone but they said it'll take up to 10 days to correct, which I find completely unfair.

Apologies if I sound very aggro in this post, but I don't get why my payment is being delayed for something that isn't my fault. COVID meant I haven't been abroad since 2019, but instead I'm dealing with this.
Original post by Nettle_Branches
So I was expecting to get my maintenance loan yesterday (April 24th), however I have to wait up to 10 more days to get it because of SF's own screw-up. (I'm desperate for this loan cause I'm going to the South of France with some friends for a couple of days in early May but that's now on the backburner.)

So what happened was, back in early December, apparently student finance tried to send me a letter via post, but it was then returned because of a Royal Mail strike that day. I was told that I would be prevented from getting any more loans until I "correct my address" (see attachment). The thing is- my address was the same one that I'd always used since starting uni, so I didn't have anything to "correct", but I still was blocked from receiving any payment, which I didn't find out till yesterday. I sorted it on the phone but they said it'll take up to 10 days to correct, which I find completely unfair.

Apologies if I sound very aggro in this post, but I don't get why my payment is being delayed for something that isn't my fault. COVID meant I haven't been abroad since 2019, but instead I'm dealing with this.

Hi there, unfortunately if we get returned mail all future payments are blocked until this is changed or confirmed with the team. If this has now been confirmed the team will release the block and your payment will be scheduled. You can check your expected payment date once this has been unblocked via your online account. You can find out how to view this here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/student-finance-england-how-to-guide
Thanks, Karen
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, unfortunately if we get returned mail all future payments are blocked until this is changed or confirmed with the team. If this has now been confirmed the team will release the block and your payment will be scheduled. You can check your expected payment date once this has been unblocked via your online account. You can find out how to view this here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/student-finance-england-how-to-guide
Thanks, Karen

So why wasn't I notified that it was blocked, so I I change it sooner Why? Why couldn't you send me the letter on another date when there were no strikes? None of this is helpful at all.
Original post by Nettle_Branches
So why wasn't I notified that it was blocked, so I I change it sooner Why? Why couldn't you send me the letter on another date when there were no strikes? None of this is helpful at all.

The team would have contacted you to confirm we had returned mail via email. Once the team have removed the block your payment will be released to you. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending