The Student Room Group

Do employers care about which classes you took

Hey, I wanted to ask whether employers cared about which classes you took for your degree. I am studying Economics in Warwick and have to decide on my 3rd year modules.

I've been facing a dilemma in that I do not know whether I should continue taking econometrics modules because even though it is genuinely difficult, I really liked learning econometrics. While the average 3 year percentage of people having gotten firsts is close to 30%, there is clearly a selection bias here as only around 10% of people on the course end up choosing econometrics, and of the people I know, I only know 1/2 that have chosen to take the module.

I'm now wondering if any employers would even value my proficiency in modelling when I apply to grad schemes knowing and appreciate that I challenged myself given that I've only heard and seen employers checking transcript for verification.

I understand I have not explained which field I might be looking to work in and honestly, I don't yet know. I am not sure whether I might choose to pursue an MSc or look for a grad scheme, or even which field I'm looking for except for finance.
Original post by eMITrACk
Hey, I wanted to ask whether employers cared about which classes you took for your degree. I am studying Economics in Warwick and have to decide on my 3rd year modules.

I've been facing a dilemma in that I do not know whether I should continue taking econometrics modules because even though it is genuinely difficult, I really liked learning econometrics. While the average 3 year percentage of people having gotten firsts is close to 30%, there is clearly a selection bias here as only around 10% of people on the course end up choosing econometrics, and of the people I know, I only know 1/2 that have chosen to take the module.

I'm now wondering if any employers would even value my proficiency in modelling when I apply to grad schemes knowing and appreciate that I challenged myself given that I've only heard and seen employers checking transcript for verification.

I understand I have not explained which field I might be looking to work in and honestly, I don't yet know. I am not sure whether I might choose to pursue an MSc or look for a grad scheme, or even which field I'm looking for except for finance.

Generally no, they might want a specific degree eg 'Economics of Maths graduates' but they are after the generic skills that come from the degree. However, there are jobs that want to be more specific, and they will ask specifically about modules. So some employers will want people with specific econometrics modelling skills, others might be happy to develop them in-house, and some roles won't need those skills.

Employers don't care about or buy into skills they won't use. If they don't deal in econometrics, they won't care about those modules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending