The Student Room Group

Considering going in to freelancing after being made redundant

After working 5 years for a large company, today I was told I was at risk at being made redundant. The company has recently been under new ownership who are keen to cut costs. In my 5 years at the business I've been in the same role working as a IT Business analyst. My background is that I have a Bachelors degree in computer science, although my degree was slightly different from what I do in my job I still have still have an interest in what I learnt at university. I am now considering going in to freelancing as I'm not really keen on doing a 9-5 anymore and would prefer to work remotely. But I'm struggling to decide on what type of work that I would like to do as a freelancer, I'm looking at either email copywriting, graphic design or Web development? Just wondering what is more profitable at this day and age and if anyone has experience of doing any of this type of work?
Reply 1
It's ok for a bit but it isn't necessarily more profitable unless you are on a seriously good daily rate. Every day you have off you lose a day's income and you also have to pay employers national insurance so despite the daily rates looking promising, through a year it isn't that profitable, plus if you are off for a few weeks between contracts, it wipes out any gains.

Do your research and decide if it is for you.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Fazersa
After working 5 years for a large company, today I was told I was at risk at being made redundant. The company has recently been under new ownership who are keen to cut costs. In my 5 years at the business I've been in the same role working as a IT Business analyst. My background is that I have a Bachelors degree in computer science, although my degree was slightly different from what I do in my job I still have still have an interest in what I learnt at university. I am now considering going in to freelancing as I'm not really keen on doing a 9-5 anymore and would prefer to work remotely. But I'm struggling to decide on what type of work that I would like to do as a freelancer, I'm looking at either email copywriting, graphic design or Web development? Just wondering what is more profitable at this day and age and if anyone has experience of doing any of this type of work?

Graphic Design and Web development is one of the highest sought after skills which pays really well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending