The Student Room Group

Why do teachers laugh when I say this?

In the run up to exam season, some of my teacher have been asking students how they feel about their confidence for their exams and when being asked myself, I've said exclusively "We'll see." which takes them aback or makes them laugh like its funny. I'm not loosing sleep over this, but am just curious as to why I keep getting that response.
Original post by Brain_In_A_Jar
In the run up to exam season, some of my teacher have been asking students how they feel about their confidence for their exams and when being asked myself, I've said exclusively "We'll see." which takes them aback or makes them laugh like its funny. I'm not loosing sleep over this, but am just curious as to why I keep getting that response.

Because it is a rather humorous response. I say the same to my lecturer’s all the time and they have the same reaction.
Reply 2

It's probably because they don't know how to respond, thinking that you mean't it in a joke way or smth loll- (It's probably also bc they can't console you or anything)
Reply 3
Original post by 5hyl33n
Because it is a rather humorous response. I say the same to my lecturer’s all the time and they have the same reaction.

But what I don't understand is why its humorous
But what I don't understand is why its humorous

I guess they realise it’s an odd question. One might feel completely prepared but when they do the exam, they realise they are not. Or they are completely prepared an ace the exam. Vice versa. It’s the uncertainty that makes that sort of question hard to answer hence the response ‘we’ll see’. In other words, I’ll let you know about my confidence levels after the exam rather than before.

Does that answer your question? :tongue:
Reply 5

Usually, people would answer by saying they're feeling confident or they're feeling not very confident or nervous or whatever, but in your case, you said "We'll see" which doesn't sound like a typical answer to the question. Maybe that's why they took it as cute and humorous. Even though they laughed, I'm sure they're NOT laughing AT you, so you shouldn't take it in a bad way at all. Teachers want their students to do well. Good luck!
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest