The Student Room Group

How do I find a girlfriend if I’m not funny despite trying?

I wasn’t born funny and whenever I try to crack a joke, nobody laughs. I’ve been recently hitting the gym because I’m overweight and working out is my last resort to be attractive since nothing else has worked.
The cliche about needing a GSOH doesn't just mean cracking jokes. Being easy going and quietly confident but slightly self-deprecating at times will go a long way.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
The cliche about needing a GSOH doesn't just mean cracking jokes. Being easy going and quietly confident but slightly self-deprecating at times will go a long way.

I don’t get responses when I’m on social media and try sending witty responses (or I think they’re witty). I saw a status from someone working out with a friend and mentioning how sore they were and I replied “At least you didn’t workout Saturday, you’d have trouble raising hands in church the next day”. The other status was a post of a zoo and I said “This gives me Madagascar vibes”. I didn’t get a reply for either and it’s frustrating.
Original post by Blueskies94
I don’t get responses when I’m on social media and try sending witty responses (or I think they’re witty). I saw a status from someone working out with a friend and mentioning how sore they were and I replied “At least you didn’t workout Saturday, you’d have trouble raising hands in church the next day”. The other status was a post of a zoo and I said “This gives me Madagascar vibes”. I didn’t get a reply for either and it’s frustrating.

Both of those are funny comments and would give me a chuckle. It's nice to get a 'like' or a smiley or whatever but it's social media at the end of the day, you don't know how many people saw the comment or had time to respond. I wouldn't take it to heart.
I wasn’t born funny and whenever I try to crack a joke, nobody laughs. I’ve been recently hitting the gym because I’m overweight and working out is my last resort to be attractive since nothing else has worked.

You dont have to be funny to get a girlfriend. Just be yourself and someone will come and appreciate you for yourself. It may take some time but thats okay, a genuine connection is much more valuable than any other one. Just keep working on yourself and the gym and your time will come :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Both of those are funny comments and would give me a chuckle. It's nice to get a 'like' or a smiley or whatever but it's social media at the end of the day, you don't know how many people saw the comment or had time to respond. I wouldn't take it to heart.

Those were direct messages to individual people
Those were direct messages to individual people

I quite often take days or weeks to respond to messages. Maybe they laughed, but couldn't immediately think of anything to say in response. If people enjoy your company, then I would not worry abut the odd bit of radio silence in response to what you though was a great zinger.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending