The Student Room Group

Ldr bf doesn't want me to be strong?

(Potential tw for body image and eating disorder)I'm turning 17 in a couple days and have been with my long distance boyfriend for almost two years now. He's very caring and although I have never been in a proper relationship prior to this, we make each other very happy and I think he's made for me. One slight problem:h:e hates the idea of me working out. I've become committed to looking after myself properly with proper meals, exercise, etc. and I love blabbering on and on to him about just about everything. But gets really defensive and starts saying really mean and hurtful things when I talk about wanting to building muscle and the sorts of people that inspire me to do so, saying that he doesn't want to cuddle with a man, that girls with prominent muscles look gross. He has always had very traditionally conservative views, and has told me countless times that he loves the way my body is now, putting emphasis on the fact that it looks soft as opposed to looking as though
Reply 1
Original post by burnoutburnaway
He's very caring

But gets really defensive and starts saying really mean and hurtful things when I talk about wanting to building muscle and the sorts of people that inspire me to do so, saying that he doesn't want to cuddle with a man, that girls with prominent muscles look gross.

Then he's not 'very caring', is he?

OK, it's not very interesting to someone else if your only topic of conversation is diet and exercise, so don't become self-obsessed about it. However, it's your body and your choice and good for you on making positive changes. Maybe the next one you can make is to get him onboard, or ditch him for being unsupportive?
Original post by Surnia
Then he's not 'very caring', is he?
OK, it's not very interesting to someone else if your only topic of conversation is diet and exercise, so don't become self-obsessed about it. However, it's your body and your choice and good for you on making positive changes. Maybe the next one you can make is to get him onboard, or ditch him for being unsupportive?

100%
Original post by burnoutburnaway
(Potential tw for body image and eating disorder)I'm turning 17 in a couple days and have been with my long distance boyfriend for almost two years now. He's very caring and although I have never been in a proper relationship prior to this, we make each other very happy and I think he's made for me. One slight problem:h:e hates the idea of me working out. I've become committed to looking after myself properly with proper meals, exercise, etc. and I love blabbering on and on to him about just about everything. But gets really defensive and starts saying really mean and hurtful things when I talk about wanting to building muscle and the sorts of people that inspire me to do so, saying that he doesn't want to cuddle with a man, that girls with prominent muscles look gross. He has always had very traditionally conservative views, and has told me countless times that he loves the way my body is now, putting emphasis on the fact that it looks soft as opposed to looking as though

Dump him gf
Eating healthy and exercising well isn't going to make you the next Mr. Universe. I don't get where your boyfriend is coming from.

That said most men would like "death by snu snu" as futurama put it.
Old fashioned ideology, he probably feels demasculated. What a loser.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending