The Student Room Group

Psychology or Politics and International Relations

I've been having second thoughts about going through with Psychology which I've been passionate about for a longtime because I keep getting conflicting news about the process of security of it. I also loved Politics and brushed it aside but if that's the safer option for job opportunities then should I go for it? I'm happy with both. I accepted a course for Psychology and will be starting in September but I would be willing to attempt to change courses. I know little about political degrees usage and how they're percieved.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mimawian
I've been having second thoughts about going through with Psychology which I've been passionate about for a longtime because I keep getting conflicting news about the process of security of it. I also loved Politics and brushed it aside but if that's the safer option for job opportunities then should I go for it? I'm happy with both. I accepted a course for Psychology and will be starting in September but I would be willing to attempt to change courses. I know little about political degrees usage and how they're percieved.

Whether you do Psychology or Politics that won't affect how easy or hard you will find it to get a job. Both degrees are in areas where there aren't many jobs directly related to them (unlike Engineering or Healthcare, say). Which means a lot of people end up doing a vocational postgrad Masters afterwards in subjects like Human Resources or Marketing, or working in a completely unrelated job to the degree subject.
Reply 2
All social science degrees are valuable - they dont point you towards a specific career but the do give you excellent 'higher thinking' skills which is what employers value. A Politics degree could lead you into a thousands different career areas.

AND - if that is what you really want to study then do it.
Nothing else will motivate you as much as 'wow this is fascinating'.

If your intended Uni offer Politics then contact them today.

If not, then ask for a deferral, take a gap year and think about what you wat to do - you have until Jan '24 to cancel Psych and put in a new 5-choice application for Politics. You could also go to some Uni Open Days and listen to the subject presentations for Politics to make sure this is the right course for you.
I agree, this is not a decision to rush in the next couple of days. If you want to switch to politics, take a gap year and plan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending