The Student Room Group

GRANDMA DIED BEFORE GCSES, can i get bereavement?

EDIT: GOOD NEWS!!! They accepted it and I went up in 6 grades!
Hello, I received my GCSE results today. I was unaware that I could get extra help on my exams because my grandma died a week before they started. Is it possible to appeal this and get my exam results changed slightly? It really affected me but I didn’t know I could get help.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sapphireA
Hello, I received my GCSE results today. I was unaware that I could get extra help on my exams because my grandma died a week before they started. Is it possible to appeal this and get my exam results changed slightly? It really affected me but I didn’t know I could get help.

bruh, idk....maybe ask ur skl
Reply 2
Original post by vaudvaudvg
bruh, idk....maybe ask ur skl

omg i think its possible 😭😭😭 i emailed them so im really hoping so… i was shocked at my results
Reply 3
bump, help pls
Wait for your school's response but usually (at least at uni) extenuating circumstances are only considered if they're submitted before exams, not after.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
I think it’s unlikely unfortunately but please check with your school. This is from the JCQ guidance:

“After the publication of results, late applications will only be accepted in the most exceptional circumstances and must be submitted before the deadline for reviews of results for the respective examination series.

A member of the senior leadership team must produce evidence to support a late application.
An application for special consideration cannot be submitted after the completion of a review of results.”

https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Guide_to_spec_con_process_June22_FINAL.pdf
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by sapphireA

Firstly, I'm really to hear about your Grandma passing, thats really tough.

Usually you need to have let them know before, and sometimes you may get some extra time, 1-2% extra (it depends on what they decide). I may be out of date though as I did my GCSEs 11 years ago, I did apply for this as my Dad passed away a few months before, I may have got 1 or 2% more but they said they wouldn't be able to let me know if I did or didn't get it, so I still don't know. But obviously in this case it was only a week before so not much time to have let them know. Definitely contact your school and see what they can do. I think back dating it could be difficult but I did manage to do this on one occasion at Uni. So it's always worth asking, good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Hey, this isn't really helpful but I wanted to say that I'm so sorry for your loss. This is really tough and I can totally understand how this affected your grades. I wish you the best of luck with everything in the future!
Reply 8
thanks everyone for the kind messages, i did email my school to tell them i was taking a day off to go to her funeral. maybe i can blag it and say that i thought my school would have told the exam board about it since it was just before exams?? 😖😖😖

Quick Reply

Latest