The Student Room Group

Pros and cons of your university

Do you suggest your university for others?
Hi @Narges zafari

I hope you are well!

I would highly recommend my university to any one who is interested in studying online. The University of Essex Online offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in business, psychology and more. I personally chose to study business because it is the middle ground to everything I want to achieve and I am extremely passionate about the subject.

I enjoy my course because it is highly accommodative and flexible. As an online student, I am required to dedicate 15-20 hours towards my studies per week. Meaning, if I have a busy week, then I can always catch up on weekends. I just love how the university designs the courses to fit one's schedule. I also appreciate the services that my university offers, such as disability support, and study skills support. If I have a query, the standard response time is between 24 to 48 hours, and I always receive my grades 7 days after submission. Although it can be challenging to balance work, studies and personal commitments, there is always an option for students to take breaks. I have seen my fellow students utilize that option and bounce back in to studying once they were ready to continue.

As a business student, I also enjoy how current affairs and real life situations are used in our learning. One of the assignments that stood up for me was when I was required to act as a business lawyer to advise a client on types of contractual agreements. The assignment was slightly challenging but it gave me a taste of how the professional side of business law works. It was a stimulating assignment to complete as I incorporated theoretical frameworks and definitions to strengthen my advise to 'my client'.

If you have any questions about studying online, then feel free to contact me!

Best wishes,
Minkateko - University of Essex Online Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Thanks
Original post by Narges zafari
Thanks

Your welcome! :smile:

Hi @Narges zafari,

Great question. I would definitely recommend my university to others, especially those who would prefer a smaller university/campus feel, and would love the historical city! The University of Chester offers a range of foundation, undergraduate, and postgraduate courses, so you're bound to find something you'd be interested in!

I study Geography with a Year Abroad (BA), and I'm loving it so far. The first two years of the course were really interesting, and I enjoyed the range of modules that they offered, as I could choose a mix of physical and human geography. The range of assessment types has also been great for developing my skills and confidence. I'm currently spending my third year abroad, which is a fantastic opportunity that Chester offers for many courses! The support I have received so far from my lecturers and other staff has been great, and I have personally found that they are more than happy to help you with any problems you may have.

As a geography student, we have the opportunity to go on many field trips throughout our course. I love this, as we are able to apply the skills and knowledge we have learnt in the classroom to the real world! We stay local, for example by going to Betws y Coed, but there are also opportunities in second and third year to go to Norway, Barcelona, and other locations.

I lived in university halls for my first year, and private housing for my second, and I felt both were good for the price. However, a lot of people have differing opinions on this, so definitely do your research and know what you need and want! I think the university also does a good job at hosting events throughout the year, such as Welcome Week, fairs, and Chestival, but there are definitely aspects of these that could be improved.

I also really love the city. Chester is extremely walkable, and therefore is a great location for students. There's so much to see and do, so you're very likely to find something you enjoy, e.g., nightlife, bars and pubs; shopping in the Rows; the River Dee and activities on the water; visiting Chester Zoo, Chester Cathedral; walking the walls; Storyhouse; etc. Chester is also a short drive from Snowdonia and other beautiful areas in Wales, and is not far from Liverpool or Manchester by train, which makes it really easy to get out and about!

I hope this helps, and do let me know if you have any other questions!
Isabella

Hi @Narges zafari,

Are you planning to apply to university next September?

Firstly, to answer your question, I would recommend any prospective student to attend open days to make sure the university is the right fit for YOU. I study Psychology at the University of Kent and I will outline some of the reasons I would recommend studying at the Uni.

Pros:
- The campus is very beautiful (we also have lots of bunnies!)
- There are a variety of events held throughout the year. Whether you do or don't drink, enjoy crafting, sports etc. there is always something for students to do on our campus.
- The staff on the Psychology course specifically are very passionate about their research which comes through when they teach. This is very fun to hear about during lectures.
- There is a variety of support available, whether its student wellbeing services, academic services or career services!
- There is a lot to get involved in such as becoming a student rep, ambassador or working cafes and bars!

I do not have many cons for attending Kent uni (I want to stay on and do my masters as well as a PhD one day) but I would say as a University student generally the cost of living can make you feel like you cant partake in as many social activities as you want. Check out what your university is doing for the cost of living.

Finally, I would like to say that your university experience is what you make it. So don't be afraid to go a bit out of your comfort zone, you never know what experiences you might enjoy!

I hope this helps. :smile:
Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending