The Student Room Group

Working while studying UCL postgrad

Hi! I’m starting a masters at UCL (Environment, Politics and Society MSc), and I was wondering how hard it is to work part time during this course / a masters generally. The max amount recommended is 20 hours / week and I might have a job offer for this amount for 3 months. Would this be feasible?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by clarissasalmon
Hi! I’m starting a masters at UCL (Environment, Politics and Society MSc), and I was wondering how hard it is to work part time during this course / a masters generally. The max amount recommended is 20 hours / week and I might have a job offer for this amount for 3 months. Would this be feasible?

Thanks.

Hiya.
I studied a different course (BEng Elec. Eng.), but had to work part time and I have to say even 20hrs/week is already pushing it. Personally I could only do that for a year and a half until I started having health issues and consequently falling behind in my studies. 3 months should be alright I reckon.
Be warned though, it's basically like having four things - Uni, work, sleep & personal life, but you can only choose 3 :biggrin:
(edited 7 months ago)
Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah the 3 month job 20h/ week would be really good work experience that’s why I’m considering it. My other plan is working 12h/ week. Basically got lots of options and need to decide the best one. If I did the 20h/ week one, I would only do 5-7h/ week for the rest of the year. Do you think that would be feasible, or should I just go for the 12h/ week job right from the beginning, which would also drop down to 5-7h/ week after 3 months.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending