The Student Room Group

I don’t know what to pick to study at uni

I have no idea what to study at university. I’m applying really soon and I’m stuck. I really like English would love to do an english lit coarse but it’s meant to be really difficult to get jobs with that, I’m a very introverted person so I know I would struggle in such a competitive field especially since I don’t want to become a teacher. I also think I would enjoy it more but I know I would find it potentially more difficult as I am dyslexic but I’ve never let that stop me from doing well and getting A’s in the subject and some of my main hobbies are reading and writing. Another option that my parents seem to really like is nursing. It’s a stable job and income but from what I’ve heard from people I know that do that job it’s very stressful and extreme hours, I’ve always wanted to help people and I can work well under pressure. I’ve always liked the sciences especially biology. Also nursing requires an interview to get in which puts me off it slightly more. Also I feel if I’m doing nursing I might as well do medicine instead as I somehow have the marks but I would have to wait till next year as I have missed the cut off date to apply this year and I would rather not take a year out. I’m sorry that’s a bit of a jumble but if you have somehow managed to follow it some advice would be appreciated.
Original post by Us37n4m3o6
I have no idea what to study at university. I’m applying really soon and I’m stuck. I really like English would love to do an english lit coarse but it’s meant to be really difficult to get jobs with that, I’m a very introverted person so I know I would struggle in such a competitive field especially since I don’t want to become a teacher. I also think I would enjoy it more but I know I would find it potentially more difficult as I am dyslexic but I’ve never let that stop me from doing well and getting A’s in the subject and some of my main hobbies are reading and writing. Another option that my parents seem to really like is nursing. It’s a stable job and income but from what I’ve heard from people I know that do that job it’s very stressful and extreme hours, I’ve always wanted to help people and I can work well under pressure. I’ve always liked the sciences especially biology. Also nursing requires an interview to get in which puts me off it slightly more. Also I feel if I’m doing nursing I might as well do medicine instead as I somehow have the marks but I would have to wait till next year as I have missed the cut off date to apply this year and I would rather not take a year out. I’m sorry that’s a bit of a jumble but if you have somehow managed to follow it some advice would be appreciated.

What A levels are you studying?
Reply 2
Many social science and humanities subjects have no required A level subjects - American Studies? Anthropology? Law? Liberal Arts? - and lots of joint subject degrees or 'with study abroad' etc etc - have a look at this list : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending