The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I really recommend keele and staffs uni both very quiet. feel free to message me about them
Oxbridge
Original post by Anonymous
I'm autistic and pretty introverted, so don't want to go to a uni city. I don't care much for clubbing or big parties (don't mind a few drinks with friends in a pub though). I know of Keele, Exeter Penryn and Bangor are apparently quiet not very big unis, but any others? I want to study geography btw and also if it's a campus uni with lots of green peaceful spaces would be a big bonus thank you

Hi there,

I'm also autistic and introverted so completely relate to not enjoying clubbing or big parties. I don't go to the Penryn campus but I've heard it's gorgeous and on the more quiet side. The Exeter campus (Streatham) is also beautiful with so many green spaces and a lovely pond with koi fish and fountains. We've been awarded two Green Flag awards for 2023 which is great. You can read more about that (and see some lovely pictures) here.

Despite Exeter being a city I wouldn't say it's a particularly big city, and there's beautiful places around the area like Dartmoor National Park and Exmouth beach. There's also plenty of pubs for you to have a few drinks with friends!

If you want to read more about the geography course you can find all the information you need here. If you want to speak to a current student studying geography to get some more insight, you can use our message a current student service called UniBuddy.

I hope getting more information about Exeter is useful for you! If you have any other questions feel free to ask:smile:

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
I think really outside of major metropolitan areas (London, Birmingham, Manchester) its relatively similar in that there's a certain level of activity and you can try and look for more or less as fits your needs. Obviously unis that are more rural or have more rural campus locations might be a little quieter but the presence of a student body will make it very different than just living and working in a similar area!

Also of note sometimes this can vary - Warwicks campus is I gather somewhat more rural than a lot of unis, but generally after first year students live in Coventry I gather, which while not a big metropolitan city is also not the middle of nowhere.
St Andrews, Bath, Loughborough, Warwick, Exeter, and Durham all spring to mind. Probs York too.
Also bear in mind whilst a uni may be near / named after a major city, the uni campuses are often far removed from city centers and are quite quiet, and student halls can be even further removed from a city, borderline in the countryside.
For example the University of Glasgow has some student accom that is nestled in the suburbs, and the campus is very green.
I'm autistic and pretty introverted, so don't want to go to a uni city. I don't care much for clubbing or big parties (don't mind a few drinks with friends in a pub though). I know of Keele, Exeter Penryn and Bangor are apparently quiet not very big unis, but any others? I want to study geography btw and also if it's a campus uni with lots of green peaceful spaces would be a big bonus thank you

Hey,

I see that some of your criteria for a university that I think Kent fulfils includes support for autistic students, events/spaces that are available for people who do not like to party/club or drink (like myself) and lots of green spaces.

Feel free to ask me any questions about Kent and what studying is like here! :smile:

Whichever university you go to, try go to an open day to see if you can see yourself studying there and check out the support systems available to you. For example support at Kent for students covers careers, academic and pastoral support. We also encourage meet ups/buddy schemes to help people make friends. It is important to make sure you pick the right university for you so open days can be essential in helping you decide. Perhaps creating a pros and cons list of different universities might help you decide.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 7 months ago)

Some unis have quieter accommodation so it could be worth looking at that.

You can perfectly well go to any uni and avoid clubbing and big parties. There are libraries and quiet places even in central London, so don't limit your university unnecessarily. Apply for where your grades allow and the course appeals to you, and then speak to the University Disability Service and any student run ASD group and find out where the quiet places are.

Often the small, tucked away campuses are actually much louder and rowdier because everyone has to stay on site and the party people can't be distanced. If you are in a city you have a much wider choice of places to get away from them.
Universities with a higher proportion of mature students tend to have more accommodation set aside as quiet blocks. It may also be helpful if they have university-owned housing off-campus where it's like a normal house rather than an entire block of students.

In terms of universities, apologies for not knowing much about Geography courses but I would recommend looking at smaller universities with an emphasis on pastoral care - and actually collegiate universities like Oxbridge can replicate this really well in that you're in a small community within a larger university. If they do Geography, Roehampton has colleges and also has an absolutely beautiful campus full of green space and a lake with ducks and geese etc as well as their own campus allotments and chickens! It's near a lot of SW London open air spaces like Barnes WWT and Kew Gardens. St Mary's Twickenham is not far away either and has excellent pastoral care (you don't need to be religious at all to attend), all religious stuff is completely optional but there's a really friendly and supportive community. Newnham College, Winchester (tons of beautiful countryside all around), Chichester etc all good for pastoral care and a much quieter and less hectic atmosphere.

York is quite quiet and has a lot of green spaces, I'm also looking at Keele and Sussex as I wouldn't be able to cope living at a city university.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
York is quite quiet and has a lot of green spaces, I'm also looking at Keele and Sussex as I wouldn't be able to cope living at a city university.

Sussex as a campus isn't that green though, also as an autistic introvert campus universities where you're isolated from eg supermarkets imo makes it harder because then you're just stuck in Uni Land and can't have a break. Sussex's campus is VERY far from not just the city but shops and so on.

Hi,

I highly recommend you visit us here at Bangor for an open day:

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/openday

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'm here to help :smile:

Sera
Reply 13
Original post by Hannah055
I really recommend keele and staffs uni both very quiet. feel free to message me about them

Oxford Brooks. Nice environment, nice city, not too large, interesting buildings, lots of countryside.
Reply 14

Oxford Brooks. Nice environment, nice city, not too large, interesting buildings, lots of countryside.
Reply 15
Original post by Faybianca

Big central building though!
Made me claustrophobic and I am not generally.
Harts is in the middle of nowhere and has a fairly nice campus.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Exeter is very autism friendly, they have lots of stuff in place to help students. (eg for biology practicals theres always a document explaining exactly how the session will go, such as loud noises, working in groups etc). Penryn is pretty quiet, lots of nature loving people here who prefer hiking over clubbing so I think it would really suit you. Hope this helps (:
Reading has a Lovely campus with a lot of green spaces so does Southampton but that’s pretty city centre so might not be for you Herts is a big campus I don’t know how quiet it is but it would be worth a look. A lot of unis have designated “quite”halls so looking at the web or even phoning the university (ask for the residences or accommodations team) tell them your autistic so need a quieter hall and they should be able to help.

Latest

Trending

Trending