The Student Room Group

Options for uni

I am having a lot of issues trying to deal with uni. Socially I haven’t made many good friends and haven’t been out a lot which is apparently common in the uni as the accommodation and events are underwhelming socially. I’m also bored to death with my course as it’s drastically different from a level which I should have considered. I don’t want to write anything off yet but I also don’t want to be miserable for the next three years. I thought about dropping out and reapplying next year or transferring which is probably unlikely and wouldn’t help me with accommodation or course. Just some guidance would be nice or some advice because I don’t really know if this is common for people to go thru uni as all of my old school friends have been going out with their flatmates and already seem to have solid friend groups whilst I don’t have any solid group yet
what uni do you go to?
Original post by Anonymous
I am having a lot of issues trying to deal with uni. Socially I haven’t made many good friends and haven’t been out a lot which is apparently common in the uni as the accommodation and events are underwhelming socially. I’m also bored to death with my course as it’s drastically different from a level which I should have considered. I don’t want to write anything off yet but I also don’t want to be miserable for the next three years. I thought about dropping out and reapplying next year or transferring which is probably unlikely and wouldn’t help me with accommodation or course. Just some guidance would be nice or some advice because I don’t really know if this is common for people to go thru uni as all of my old school friends have been going out with their flatmates and already seem to have solid friend groups whilst I don’t have any solid group yet

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you've not had the best start.

It can be common for students to have a bit of an unsure start to university with friends and their course, so you're definitely not alone in this experience.

I personally found the best way to make friends was through societies as it meant I could meet people with similar interests. I think a sports society is best as you can interact with everyone but don't have to be talking all the time so it can feel less awkward when you first go. Or a society that will have you doing activities, like a gaming society, so again you have something else to focus on and not just each other, and this could help break the ice.

I think you're right - you shouldn't make a decision about anything just yet. Allow yourself some time to give your accommodation and course a chance.

With your course, is it the particular module you're studying at the moment be the issue? And maybe it will pick up again as you move onto the next assignment? It can be hard to tell if a course is the right fit for you, but my advice would be to consider how the course is going, and what you'll be studying in the near future to see if it still interests you. You should always do what is best for you, but it's also good to consider your options too.

I found in my first year that I made a few friendships in the first few months, but I've only stayed friends with a couple of people, and I now have other friends who I didn't meet until the final assignment of my first year - so you never know who you might meet.

I hope things start to pick up for you.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
It's not uncommon to find yourself in that situation. Firstly though you need to recognise that you really get out of uni and your course what you put in. If you are just passively waiting for opportunities to offer themselves up to you to go out, meet people, make friends etc, then you probably are going to end up spending a long time waiting and a bit lonely. You really do just need to make a point of joining societies, going to the events and meetings for them regularly, regularly going out of your way to talk to other people on your course, in your flat and residence etc. That's the only way you're going to get anywhere with the social life side of things, at any uni.

In terms of the course it does also hold true that you get out what you put in, and you do need to remember that at uni it's really on you as the learner to go out and engage with the course. Lectures normally just cover the minimally examinable components (if even that far) and you're expected to go out and do independent study to engage with the subject area and topics more broadly and deeply. The lectures are normally just a starting point and/or a platform to go through examples together.

Of course it isn't uncommon for people to find that a given course at degree level isn't what they expected (or even what they like) due to significant differences in style and content from the A-level. Some notable examples I can think of include maths, physics, and economics (the former being a very different type of maths to A-level, the latter two being much more mathematical than the A-level usually). Languages can also be somewhat different I gather with a much larger emphasis on grammar. I've no idea what course you're doing or how you're finding it different from A-level, but you need to think about, for yourself, whether it's something you are OK with but just need to adapt to, or if t's just fundamentally not something you want to be doing at degree level (in which case I recommend seeing if you can withdraw and then reapply during a gap year - it might be early enough still that if you withdraw you don't have any fee liability!).
Reply 4
Original post by seaqueen6457
what uni do you go to?

Kcl
Original post by Anonymous

It's still very early days so try and not worry too much that you've not yet made friends. Have you joined any clubs or societies? That's how I made the majority of mine as you already have that common ground, they also host their own social nights. I'd also recommend attending events hosted by your SU, ours hosts a weekly 'friendship evening' which includes pizza and board games. Everyone is there for the same reason so there's no ice to break and you can just focus on having a nice time.

Course-wise, i'd recommend giving it a little more time but also reaching out to your tutor and letting them know your concerns, they can advise on whether it is the right course for you based on your aspirations and goals and also offer advice on next steps.
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi there.

Sorry to hear you've not had the best start.

It can be common for students to have a bit of an unsure start to university with friends and their course, so you're definitely not alone in this experience.

I personally found the best way to make friends was through societies as it meant I could meet people with similar interests. I think a sports society is best as you can interact with everyone but don't have to be talking all the time so it can feel less awkward when you first go. Or a society that will have you doing activities, like a gaming society, so again you have something else to focus on and not just each other, and this could help break the ice.

I think you're right - you shouldn't make a decision about anything just yet. Allow yourself some time to give your accommodation and course a chance.

With your course, is it the particular module you're studying at the moment be the issue? And maybe it will pick up again as you move onto the next assignment? It can be hard to tell if a course is the right fit for you, but my advice would be to consider how the course is going, and what you'll be studying in the near future to see if it still interests you. You should always do what is best for you, but it's also good to consider your options too.

I found in my first year that I made a few friendships in the first few months, but I've only stayed friends with a couple of people, and I now have other friends who I didn't meet until the final assignment of my first year - so you never know who you might meet.

I hope things start to pick up for you.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending