The Student Room Group

Want to quit my job but scared(HELP)?

I work at pret a manger shop and was hired thanks to my mom's recommendation. I never applied through websites and just got hired after some training. I want to quit BC the work environment is too toxic but I'm scared they will fire my mom if I quit without the 2 weeks notice. She also says that quitting without it is very ugly and should just stick with it.

My mental health is very bad as it is and I study a degree that also makes me miserable. Should I quit anyways or stick with it? Can my mum also get fired BC of it???
Original post by Alexnova126
I work at pret a manger shop and was hired thanks to my mom's recommendation. I never applied through websites and just got hired after some training. I want to quit BC the work environment is too toxic but I'm scared they will fire my mom if I quit without the 2 weeks notice. She also says that quitting without it is very ugly and should just stick with it.

My mental health is very bad as it is and I study a degree that also makes me miserable. Should I quit anyways or stick with it? Can my mum also get fired BC of it???

It's only 2 weeks notice - just suck it up.
Reply 2

Deal with them properly, give them the required 2 weeks notice and then leave. You might need a reference and there is no need to mess people about. They may say you don't need to work the notice, but in any event 2 weeks isn't very long. They won't fire your mum, but it will make her look bad if you just don't turn up.

It seems as if this is the least of your problems. See your GP about your mental health and perhaps organise a meeting with your university tutor to see if things can be improved.

Deal with the situation properly and give the 2 weeks notice. 2 weeks isnt very long, and if you are part time thats even less shifts to do.
At least if you give the 2 weeks notice, you havent messed anyone about or made yourself/your mum look bad. You never know you might need a reference from them.
If you quit without notice- they wont fire your mum (she isnt the one thats done anything wrong) but it will make her look bad if you just stop turning up for your shifts.
Original post by Emma:-)
Deal with the situation properly and give the 2 weeks notice. 2 weeks isnt very long, and if you are part time thats even less shifts to do.
At least if you give the 2 weeks notice, you havent messed anyone about or made yourself/your mum look bad. You never know you might need a reference from them.
If you quit without notice- they wont fire your mum (she isnt the one thats done anything wrong) but it will make her look bad if you just stop turning up for your shifts.

Utterly nonsense.

They are legally entitled to fire the mother if they wish. I should know as I am a manager for a high class restaurant called McDonald’s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending