The Student Room Group

Choosing unis with bad Predicted grades

I want to apply for mechanical engineering but my predicted grades are pretty shocking (BCC)

B in physics (might be able to get this to an A). despite getting a B and being 3 marks of an A in the mock I've been predicted a C and my teacher wont change it to a B. and a C in economics, I did well in all the year 12 test's but had an absolute stinker on the mock and Ucas adjustment test so I'm not surprised its a C.

Originally I wanted to apply for unis around ABB AAB range but evidently that is a bit of a stretch

Thinking about applying to
-Liverpool (AAB)
-Edinburgh (ABB)
-Leeds (A*AA) (delusional option but most preferred)

What would my chances of getting into these uni's be with a BCC.

Im also thinking about applying to Sheffield for a masters integrated with a foundation year (BBC-BBB). To me this sounds like the best but I worry about who I would live with after the third year as most courses are 3 years, and being stuck a year behind with freshers in my second year, also the 5 year course makes me wonder if that's to long.

I'm not sure what over uni's to apply for as I want a city uni, but most around the BCC range seem pretty terrible. and I feel like a degree from them wouldn't look very good on my CV.

I just don't know if I should still apply for those AAB uni's or completely change my application. and if that Sheffield course would be worth it. If it helps I think my personnel statement would be pretty unique because I'm from the UK but was born in Asia and lived there up until just after I sat my IGCSE

I also did do very good in my IGCSES' pretty much straight 9s and 8's if that would help my application as well. I have really struggled with the move to the UK though which is one reason I think my grades are crap right now.
Original post by lemon321123
I want to apply for mechanical engineering but my predicted grades are pretty shocking (BCC)

B in physics (might be able to get this to an A). despite getting a B and being 3 marks of an A in the mock I've been predicted a C and my teacher wont change it to a B. and a C in economics, I did well in all the year 12 test's but had an absolute stinker on the mock and Ucas adjustment test so I'm not surprised its a C.

Originally I wanted to apply for unis around ABB AAB range but evidently that is a bit of a stretch

-Liverpool (AAB)
-Edinburgh (ABB)

Im also thinking about applying to Sheffield for a masters integrated with a foundation year (BBC-BBB). To me this sounds like the best but I worry about who I would live with after the third year as most courses are 3 years, and being stuck a year behind with freshers in my second year, also the 5 year course makes me wonder if that's to long.

I'm not sure what over uni's to apply for as I want a city uni, but most around the BCC range seem pretty terrible. and I feel like a degree from them wouldn't look very good on my CV.

I just don't know if I should still apply for those AAB uni's or completely change my application. and if that Sheffield course would be worth it. If it helps I think my personnel statement would be pretty unique because I'm from the UK but was born in Asia and lived there up until just after I sat my IGCSE

I also did do very good in my IGCSES' pretty much straight 9s and 8's if that would help my application as well. I have really struggled with the move to the UK though which is one reason I think my grades are crap right now.

Do you able to have access to contextual offers, look into them - idk what they consist of exactly tho? I feel like the foundation year would be the best choice seeing as your only worried of not having friends for 1 year. You could always take a gap year and apply to uni the next year. Is there anyway you can bump up your grades? Have you spoken to your teachers? I was previously on a BCC but i did extra work and did well on topic tests and they bumped it up to a BBB. My teachers said i had until the t middle of November to change it so maybe your school is somehow the same, if not longer?
If you are thinking of not taking a gap year, I wouldnt be applying to all 3 of those unis, You might get lucky and get offered a place at one, seeing as ur background is interesting but its a good idea to fill the rest with safeties.
Have you done an EPQ? Ik some unis lower the grade boundaries if you've got a good grade on that.
If your set on doing mechanical engineering, you love it and you find it interesting/beneficial - i wouldn't necessarily change it.
Idk im sort of struggling atm too but thats the advice people gave me and its given me a little more confidence.

-Liverpool (AAB)
-Edinburgh (ABB)

Also abt the degree thing, I understand where your coming from so lets say you end up going to a not so great one, they could still find you appealable if you did interesting work experience, volunteering or internships or just stuff like that :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
Do you able to have access to contextual offers, look into them - idk what they consist of exactly tho? I feel like the foundation year would be the best choice seeing as your only worried of not having friends for 1 year. You could always take a gap year and apply to uni the next year. Is there anyway you can bump up your grades? Have you spoken to your teachers? I was previously on a BCC but i did extra work and did well on topic tests and they bumped it up to a BBB. My teachers said i had until the t middle of November to change it so maybe your school is somehow the same, if not longer?
If you are thinking of not taking a gap year, I wouldnt be applying to all 3 of those unis, You might get lucky and get offered a place at one, seeing as ur background is interesting but its a good idea to fill the rest with safeties.
Have you done an EPQ? Ik some unis lower the grade boundaries if you've got a good grade on that.
If your set on doing mechanical engineering, you love it and you find it interesting/beneficial - i wouldn't necessarily change it.
Idk im sort of struggling atm too but thats the advice people gave me and its given me a little more confidence.

Not sure how to look into the contextual and stuff my schools is not being very helpful.

I might be able to convince my teacher to up my economics grade but I doubt my math grade will change, my teacher is extremely persistent with my C even though I have never gotten a C in the mock. im really just not sure what to do.
Not sure how to look into the contextual and stuff my schools is not being very helpful.

I might be able to convince my teacher to up my economics grade but I doubt my math grade will change, my teacher is extremely persistent with my C even though I have never gotten a C in the mock. im really just not sure what to do.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/policies-and-statements/contextual-data/

Thats the contextual page for uni of liverpool if that helps. I think you just need to search through the uni websites to find them but most of them say the same stuff anyway. Its quite hard to change the teachers mind so unfortunately, you might need to rethink your choices.
Reply 5
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/policies-and-statements/contextual-data/

Thats the contextual page for uni of liverpool if that helps. I think you just need to search through the uni websites to find them but most of them say the same stuff anyway. Its quite hard to change the teachers mind so unfortunately, you might need to rethink your choices.

Yea agreed, ill probably take of edinburgh and Leeds and just hope for the best with Liverpool then have 3 or 4 safeties one being the Sheffield with foundation. Ideally I go through clearing though to a better uni but I just worry if my choice for clearing would be alot more restricted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending